firmware customization based on low cost power bank PB-811 using southchip

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
chch_3621411
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

i begin to a new project which is not same as CY4532 DC/DC using the CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb

i refer to the this blog as you suggested me: CCG3PA Power Adapter/Car Charger (1C+1A) single chip solution firmware customize steps 

and to this blog EZ-PD Type-C USB

the low cost power bank PB-811 using southchip

I couldn't refer to the same blog as it is power bank and design is completly different. PB-811 uses only I2C to communicate with the BUCK/BOOST.

as for my project i use only USB-c:

1) i disabled: BUCK_BOOST_EN_A, TYPE_A_VBUS_EN, PWM_A, PWM_A, PWM_OUT_A and Clock_3 in TopDesign TypeA. or should i removed it ?

2) should i also disable in TypeC : PWMI_C, BUCK_BOOST_EN_C, DIR_CTRL_C and VBUS_CTRL_TIMER ? or remove it.

3) should i add pin 16 and 17 and as D- and D+ in the TopDesign and how ?

here in below you can see my schematic.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

For your question, please take a look my comments as below:

1) i disabled: BUCK_BOOST_EN_A, TYPE_A_VBUS_EN, PWM_A, PWM_A, PWM_OUT_A and Clock_3 in TopDesign TypeA. or should i removed it ?

>> Disable is enough for project customize. If you like 100% clean, you can remove it from TopDesign.

2) should i also disable in TypeC : PWMI_C, BUCK_BOOST_EN_C, DIR_CTRL_C and VBUS_CTRL_TIMER ? or remove it.

>> You should disable all of them.

>> Please do not remove VBUS_CTRL_TIMER if you would like to make the project is clean.

>> You do not need add pin assignment for pin#16 and pin#17 as for D- and D+, you just need make sure whether the BC1.2 and Apple Charging (If you want to support Apple Charging) have been enabled in the configuration or not.

The Configuration in Ez-PD configuration Utility

pastedImage_1.png

For Apple charging support and co-exist with BC1.2, you need external pull-up resistor on DP end, you can refer Cypress EZ-PD™ CCGx Power SDK User Guide, Doc. No. 002-22136 Rev. *A. Section 4.8 Legacy / proprietary charging configurations.

pastedImage_2.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

For your question, please take a look my comments as below:

>> Disable is enough for project customize. If you like 100% clean, you can remove it from TopDesign.

>> You should disable all of them.

>> Please do not remove VBUS_CTRL_TIMER if you would like to make the project is clean.

>> You do not need add pin assignment for pin#16 and pin#17 as for D- and D+, you just need make sure whether the BC1.2 and Apple Charging (If you want to support Apple Charging) have been enabled in the configuration or not.

The Configuration in Ez-PD configuration Utility

pastedImage_1.png

For Apple charging support and co-exist with BC1.2, you need external pull-up resistor on DP end, you can refer Cypress EZ-PD™ CCGx Power SDK User Guide, Doc. No. 002-22136 Rev. *A. Section 4.8 Legacy / proprietary charging configurations.

pastedImage_2.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

Heloo LisaZ_26​ thanks for your answer it's so crucial.
then arise couples quick questions: the GPIO that i have to add should it be Input or Output ?

i don't have CY4532 EZ-PD™ CCG3PA Evaluation Kit

so i can't use Ez-pd configuration utility how do i generate config.c ? or what do i need to change in the config.c because i have it in my project.
is the schematic below correct ?legacy.PNG

0 Likes

Hi ,

1. The config.c can be generated by EZ-PD Configuration Utility (download link:  https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-configuration-utility ). (Recommend to read user guide of EZ-PD Configuration Utility and read getting start of CCG3PA: https://www.cypress.com/file/363656/download )

2. The schematic you show up is correct for Apple Charging support.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

I have read the user guide but didn't find how to generate the config.c what should i do?

0 Likes