cy4500

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
gesc_4598271
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Hello
I am interested in making current and voltage measurements on my device. For this purpose I used cy4500 protocol analyzer. I was able to display graphs of voltage and current however I would like to get more accurate information to perform calculations of average current, average power and more.
I understand that all the information is saved in the .ccgx3 file
The user manual states that
Note: * .ccgx3 file is a proprietary Cypress format. Files stored in this format can be opened using any XML editor.
I tried to extract the information from the file but could not even open it. I would be happy for your help with what software can I open the file?
Or if there is another method to get accurate measurements of current and voltage consumed in the device, for analysis?
thanks, Geva

9 Replies
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

To perform an accurate analysis of the data obtained in the EZ-PD Protocol Analyzer utility, I suggest you save the CC logs in excel format. 

While saving, goto file>save>saveastype>excel files(xlsx).

For more details refer to the image below,

1.PNG

The PD packets here should be captured to a point up to which the average is supposed to be measured.

Please let me know if this option has helped you in analyzing the obtained data.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
gesc_4598271
Level 1
Level 1

Hello
When I save the data in an Excel file, I only get the data about the packages transferred between the devices.

gesc_4598271_0-1618402809032.png

I want to know what the current is at any given time.
I know this data is saved in ccgx3 file because when I save the data in ccgx3 format I can open this file in the utility and recover the graph showing the current and voltage at any given time
But unfortunately the graph is not enough because the data are only graphical, so it is not possible to calculate the exact power.
I am interested in processing the data shown in this graph:

gesc_4598271_1-1618402860596.png

Is there such a possibility?

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Can you please share the screenshot of the Analyzer utility window while you are capturing the data.

The reason behind this request is because. when you export or save the analyzer data in excel format, usually there would be a current column next to Vbus voltage column.  Please refer to the images attached below, 

1.PNG

2.PNG

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
gesc_4598271
Level 1
Level 1

gesc_4598271_0-1618405394483.png

gesc_4598271_1-1618405460408.png

This is very strange, for me the value of the current does not appear.

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Please update the EZ-PD Analyzer utility software suit to the latest version and try capturing the PD packets again.

Please let me know if you still observe this issue.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
gesc_4598271
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Abhilash P.
Thanks for the help.
Please can you tell me where to find the latest version for Windows? The page  https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy4500-ez-pd-protocol-analyzer

has many versions and I have a hard time figuring out which one I need to install.
(Actually I think I installed the latest but it probably turns out not)

Thank you
Geva

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi, 

Please download the file present in the 6th row of the following link,

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy4500-ez-pd-protocol-analyzer

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi, 

This is indeed the version that has been updated on my computer.
For safety I installed this version again, the situation remains the same.
I repeat my first question, whether and how the data can be read from a ccg3 file, since I am interested in this data.

Regards,

Geva s.

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Please follow the steps already mentioned above. 

You need to save the data into an excel format and try analyzing it. Since you are not able to get current data, try saving it in csv format and analyzing it. You can use an online tool to access the saved csv file.
And can you please confirm if you are referring to .ccgx format or ccg3 file.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes