add power supply control in "Type-C to HDMI reference schematic"

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
beyuc_3712261
Level 3
Level 3

usb-c.png

Hi,

My project has just finished PCB layout so for now the firmware is critical. My project is based on CCG3 C to HDMI dongle reference design“ as Lisa suggested in the previous discussions in the developer community. The picture above is the power control diagram.

The VBUS in theCCG3 C to HDMI dongle reference design“ is a power source but in my project the VBUS is a power sink. I have the following questions:

1. is the firmware project name in EZ-PD CCGx SDK package "CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle"?

2. what functions should I add to the project for the power control? The control pins in CYPD3125 for the high-side MOSFET switch U6 are VBUS_P_CTRL0 and VBUS_P_CTRL1.

3. can I simply add the following commands before the while (1) in main() to turn on Q2&Q3 at GPIO P1.3 ?

HV_STRL_Write(1);

HV_CTRL_SetDriveMode(HV_CTRL_DM_STRONG);

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

1. is the firmware project name in EZ-PD CCGx SDK package "CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle"?

>> Yes.

2. what functions should I add to the project for the power control? The control pins in CYPD3125 for the high-side MOSFET switch U6 are VBUS_P_CTRL0 and VBUS_P_CTRL1.

>> There are no further function need to add. If your design have initial PR-SWAP and CCG3 work as Power source, CCG3 will enable VBUS_P_CTRL as power source if you are using N MOS FET.

3. can I simply add the following commands before the while (1) in main() to turn on Q2&Q3 at GPIO P1.3 ?

HV_STRL_Write(1);

>> You can use those code to make P1.3 drive HIGH. Whether it is turn on or not, it depends on the MOS FET.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

>> Yes.

>> There are no further function need to add. If your design have initial PR-SWAP and CCG3 work as Power source, CCG3 will enable VBUS_P_CTRL as power source if you are using N MOS FET.

HV_STRL_Write(1);

>> You can use those code to make P1.3 drive HIGH. Whether it is turn on or not, it depends on the MOS FET.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Thank you Lisa.

I am wondering if the MOSFET circuit (Q2,Q3) and  the control signal GPIO P1.3 in CYPD3125 can be eliminated so the HDMI converter and the USB hub controller circuit (not listed in the diagram) will be powered on all the time. Will the elimination have any negative impact on the CYPD3125 operation?

0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

Could you clarify "If your design have initial PR-SWAP and CCG3 work as Power source"? 

I think CCG3 (we use CYPD3125)  is a power controller and powered by the external power supply.  I do not think it will be functioning as "Power source".   The power source is the external power supply.

In the circuit I use the N-MOSFET pair (U6 in the diagram). The CCG3 should turn on the N-MOSFET to charge a Samsung S8/9 in the type-c once detected the Samsung S8/9 plugged in the type-c.

What I need from the CCG3 is: once the Samsung S8/9 is plugged in the type-c it will be charged and allowed to send the video streams of DispalyPort format to the HDMI converter through type-c.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

Hi ,

1. If you are self-powered Hub, It is Okay to enable Hub all the time.

2. N-MOSFET control need confirm Vgs(th) to confirm whether the N-MOS FET can be enabled or not. CCG3 GPIO is follow VDDIO power dominate.

3. What CCG3 can support is once a DRP/power sink role plugged in, CCG3 can become to power source to charging the Type-C device. And CCG3 can support once a USB host/DisplayPort Source plugged in, CCG3 can become to USB device/DisplayPort sink to receive the video streams of DisplayPort.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes