What is the process to merge cyacd Configuration file into PSoC Creator hex Firmware file to program CCG parts?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

In CCGx Host SDK User Guide @ https://www.cypress.com/file/432036/download , I can follow Section 5.2, which runs through and shows the high level process flow.

There are three basic steps:

• Define the configuration:
    • Reference Configuration Utility User Manual on how to create a .cyacd file.  https://www.cypress.com/file/183686/download , “Note that the XML file itself cannot be programmed to the device. A special file with “cyacd” extension is saved along with the XML file to the selected folder. This file should be used to program the configuration to the device.”
  • Define the firmware program desired:

Option 1: Use PSoC Creator to add any modifications to the base firmware for any device 

Option 2: Obtain the default firmware from Cypress

• Program the device
    • **** Detailed instructions for this step are eluding me **** <<== What are the steps to merge the cyacd and hex files??
    • Merge .cyacd Configuration file into .hex Firmware file
    • Use PSoC Programmer to load into the device

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Greg,

Yes, the procedure is different for CCG2. Since you are importing the project from the CCGx SDK, please follow the procedure in Import EZ-PD Configuration Utility C-source on PSoC Creator 3.3.

Since the libraries for the CCGx SDK are pre-built to be supported on PSoC Creator 3.3, we recommend building the example projects on the same IDE version.

If the errors are same as mentioned in https://community.cypress.com/message/233686?et=watches.email.thread#233686 , please follow up on the same.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Greg,

You dont need to merge the *.cyacd file created using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility into the *.hex file. Along with the *.cyacd file, the utility also generates a *.c file which we can rename as config.c to update the firmware configuration. Please refer to the step to update PDOs, VDOs, and port configuration in the SDK Usage Flow from the Host SDK User Guide.

The procedure to merge the configuration with the SDK firmware is-

1. Go to the path of the project in the host SDK to open the source files and navigate to the \common folder. Replace the existing config.c file with the one you generated with your configuration. For e.g. <install directory>\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook\CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook.cydsn\common

2. Open the project in PSoC Creator and build it. The *.hex file generated will have the new configuration present and you can program this using PSoC Programmer.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Ok, so I navigate to here: "...\Documents\PSoC Creator\CYPD2134-24LQXI_CobraDP\CYPD2134-24LQXI_CobraDP.cydsn\common" and all I see are two header files, app_version.h and usbpd_flash_config.h. I don't see any ".c" files. So, do I just add the config.c? If so, how do I do that?

0 Likes

By the way, I started this project using the CYPD2134 power adapter example and have made no intentional modifications at this point.

Thanks,

Chip

0 Likes

Sananya,

Thank you for the clarification on using the .c file instead of the .cyacd file.

As Chip pointed out, the process is NOT simple for CCG2. It appears fairly straight forward for CCG3 and above; but since we're using CCG2, it appears we need to set the config.c file into the Bootloader per instructions in "Import EZ-PD Configuration Utility C-source" @ Import EZ-PD Configuration Utility C-source

I attempted unsuccessfully to follow instructions in "Import EZ-PD Configuration Utility C-source", I see the configuration exists in the cc_boot-pa project as "usbpd_config.c" and can be replaced with a new config.c file. However, I can't get it to build:

1) I get 17 errors when attempting to build cc_boot-pa project that appear to come from the "armlink.exe" command.

2) I cannot find the .hex and .elf files. I'm guessing I need to run the build first.

Can you verify then provide a clean set of example projects for CCG2 that have config.c files in the project and work with PSoC Creator 4.3?

Greg

0 Likes

Hello Greg,

Yes, the procedure is different for CCG2. Since you are importing the project from the CCGx SDK, please follow the procedure in Import EZ-PD Configuration Utility C-source on PSoC Creator 3.3.

Since the libraries for the CCGx SDK are pre-built to be supported on PSoC Creator 3.3, we recommend building the example projects on the same IDE version.

If the errors are same as mentioned in https://community.cypress.com/message/233686?et=watches.email.thread#233686 , please follow up on the same.

Best Regards,

Sananya