Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Reletobg
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hi, 
I am planing to use the CCG3 CYPD3171 for portable powerbank, and I am not very familiar with this USB-C controllers.  Since I will use it in power bank I will need only the USB-C contract establishing and I2C to communicate with the main MCU.

I watched the training videos provided from Cypress, but I didn't understand is the controller coming preprogrammed and can use it directly or need only configuration, or I have to program it ?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

CCG3PA (USB Type C Controller Gen 3 Power Adapter), is Cypress' highly integrated USB Type-C port controller that complies with the latest USB Type-C and PD standards and is targeted for PC power adapters, mobile chargers, car chargers, and power bank applications. In such applications, CCG3PA provides additional functionalities and BOM integration advantages.

Please refer to this link to download the CCG3PA datasheet. 

Please refer to the following image that lists the EZ-PD CCG3PA part numbers and their features,

1.PNG

CYPD3171 part has  Rp, Rd and Rd-db termination resistors integrated that makes it suitable for DRP (Dual role port) applications.

CYPD3171 chip is preprogrammed to work in a Power bank application. 

The chip can be further configured based on the available application. Please refer to this link to download EZ-PD Configuration utility software tool and the user manual to configure the chip over the CC interface. 

Please let me know if you face any further difficulties while working with the controller.

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

CCG3PA (USB Type C Controller Gen 3 Power Adapter), is Cypress' highly integrated USB Type-C port controller that complies with the latest USB Type-C and PD standards and is targeted for PC power adapters, mobile chargers, car chargers, and power bank applications. In such applications, CCG3PA provides additional functionalities and BOM integration advantages.

Please refer to this link to download the CCG3PA datasheet. 

Please refer to the following image that lists the EZ-PD CCG3PA part numbers and their features,

1.PNG

CYPD3171 part has  Rp, Rd and Rd-db termination resistors integrated that makes it suitable for DRP (Dual role port) applications.

CYPD3171 chip is preprogrammed to work in a Power bank application. 

The chip can be further configured based on the available application. Please refer to this link to download EZ-PD Configuration utility software tool and the user manual to configure the chip over the CC interface. 

Please let me know if you face any further difficulties while working with the controller.

Regards,

Abhilash P

Reletobg
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Thank you! This was very to useful information!

I will purchase some  CYPD3171 chips for testing. 😊

0 Likes