Use EZ-PD configuration utility on custom board

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HoKa
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First solution authored First reply posted

Hello Cypress-Team,

we are using the CYPD3125-40LQXIT on a custom board. I could connect to the board with the PSoC Programmer to read the memory from the device, so the connection should be ok and the device is working. I want to load some new PDOs with using EZ-PD configuration utility, as I have done with the CY4521 CCG2 EVK, but I'm not sure how I could do this. We did not design the CY7C65215 on the board to have an USB/I2C converter.  As a test, I took the following pins from the daughter card of the CY4521 and connect it to our custom board, without any success. It only finds the CCG2 device on the dev kit

J4.37: I2C_SCL_EC

J4.34: I2C_SDA_EC

J4.28: I2C_INT_EC

Which possibilities I have to configure the CYPD3125-40LQXIT on our custom board via EZ-PD configuration utility?

BR Holger

0 Likes
1 Solution
HoKa
Level 1
Level 1

Today I have tested again and rebuild the workspace in PSoC Creator. Now I have seen, that all I2C signals where correctly inside the project CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook as well

HoKa_0-1624618556993.png

Now I could communicate with the daughter card and my own board.

One more question. Is it possible to get the project files of the notebook example, which is delivered with the CY4531 EVK? I have the project sources for the CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook, which comes with the EZPDCCGXHOSTSDKSetup_3.4.exe, but I think this is not the same.

BR HOlger

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Holger,

CYPD3125-40LQXIT is supporting Host Processor Interface, which is relates on the three signals you have been pointed out. When you have chance to open the firmware project of CYPD3125-40LQXIT_notebook, you will notice those pin assignment. 

ShifangZ_26_0-1624535022496.png

But, you have to get the specified documentation by contacting local FAE/Sales. 

I could like to recommend you change the PDOs as you want after modified the configuration parameters and then update config.c file with PSoC Creator IDE, re-build it finally. You could get a new firmware for your project direct and programming it via SWD programmer. 

The CCG3 SDK could be download from the link: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-host-software-development-kit 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
HoKa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Lisa,

thank you for the information, I know how to create a new config file out of the config utility, but for debugging purposes it is much more comfortable doing this with a GUI. 

I already have opened the PSoC Creator file for the CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook (WORKSPACE) and I could see the following pin assignment. In the Project 'backup_fw' , which is inside the WORKSPACE file, it shows the following:

HoKa_0-1624549260753.png

When I open the pin design for project CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook, which is inside the WORKSPACE file, it shows the following:

HoKa_1-1624549333086.png

Is this correct? In my understanding we should have the I2C HPI functionality also in the main project. In my understanding, the backup_fw is in the Flash sector for the backup image

NOTE:

Installed CyInstaller Products:
CY4500 EZ-PD Protocol Analyzer 1.0 Rev.*A
EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK 3.4
EZ-PD Configuration Utility 1.3
Peripheral Driver Library 3.1.2
PSoC Programmer 3.28.8
PSoC Creator 4.4

0 Likes
HoKa
Level 1
Level 1

Today I have tested again and rebuild the workspace in PSoC Creator. Now I have seen, that all I2C signals where correctly inside the project CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook as well

HoKa_0-1624618556993.png

Now I could communicate with the daughter card and my own board.

One more question. Is it possible to get the project files of the notebook example, which is delivered with the CY4531 EVK? I have the project sources for the CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook, which comes with the EZPDCCGXHOSTSDKSetup_3.4.exe, but I think this is not the same.

BR HOlger

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Holger,

1. CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook in Host SDK is the one you are looking for and match CY4531 board hardware schematic. 

2. The Original firmware on CY4531 board may old firmware version from manufactory (The firmware version could read by ez-PD configuration Utility), but you could get it from older SDK or Host SDK. 

Best Regards,

Lisa 

0 Likes