USB4.0 cable and active cable ref. design

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Flance_Fang
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Weikeng(GC)
50 sign-ins 50 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi. cypress

in USB4.0 cable and active cable ref. design,which use CCG2 cypd2103 to design, I know the difference between 2103 and CMG1(2703 and 2704) is PD3.0,CC and VCONN short to VBUS protection. In ref. circuit, it add diodes to solve CYPD2103 support PD3.0, and without short protection between Vbus and CC(VCONN). The question as below: If customer need emphasis care for CC(Vconn) and Vbus protection, advise them add extra circuit, in the ref. design, it don't affect usb-if org test, so our ref. design don't add protection circuit in it.Right?

thanks

flance fang

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Flance,

You could refer to the following parts for the VBUS-to-CC short protection on the Type-C plugs, they are smaller in size so may be suitable for cable design-

1. TPD4S311

2. NX20P0407

3. MAX20323

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Flance,

-"In ref. circuit, it add diodes to solve CYPD2103 support PD3.0", I think you mean the diodes between VCONN and VDDD pin? Yes, it added to support extended VCONN range as per USB PD 3.0.

-Please confirm if my understanding of your question is correct- if customer adds additional circuit for CC (VCONN) and VBUS short protection in the CCG2 design, will it have any effect on the USB-IF test result?

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
Flance_Fang
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Weikeng(GC)
50 sign-ins 50 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi.Sananya

the second question:if customer adds additional circuit for CC (VCONN) and VBUS short protection in the CCG2 design, will it have any effect on the USB-IF test result?

【flance】I think it may pass USB-IF test,right. but current main issue when customer want to add ciruit which PN may meet  the short protection circuit in EMCA cable?as if add using TI TPD6S300A (TPD6S300A 数据表, 产品信息与支持 | TI.com.cn ), but the size is so big 3mm*3mm QFN. whether infineon has such short protection IC or do you have another IC recommendation?

thanks

flance fang

0 Likes

Hi Flance,

You could refer to the following parts for the VBUS-to-CC short protection on the Type-C plugs, they are smaller in size so may be suitable for cable design-

1. TPD4S311

2. NX20P0407

3. MAX20323

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes