USB type-C, BUS powered, Host battery charging, DRP

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Shashi_Rai
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like given First question asked

Hi,

I am looking for a device which can run on BUS power of USB type C  ( 5V, 3A ).

I am using smartphone(mobile - USB type C) as host which provides power supply to my application board with communication. Also application board have a USB type C port which can use for battery charging and data communication to smartphone.

Requirement: (1) Smartphone to Application board - Power supply 5V@500mA + USB2.0 communication (2) Smartphone charger/USB device/Other Host  to Smartphone - Power supply + USB3.1/USB2.0 communication (Over single USB type C receptacle)

Shashi_Rai_0-1649419675286.png

Note : Whole solution is required to work on bus power ( No external DC power).  Application board take power supply form Smartphone. once smartphone battery goes low and external smartphone charger is available the application board takes power supply form charger.

please suggest device and Evaluation board.

Regards, 

Shashi

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Shashi,

Based on your application description, I understand that you will need a simplified version of a Charge through Dongle. Please refer to our CCG3 datasheet Application Diagram Figure 16 -  https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-EZ-PD_CCG3_USB_Type-C_Controller_with_Power_Delivery-DataShee...

I assume that you will need PD capability on both Type-C Plug and Receptacle side. Please check the above reference and let me know if I have mistaken something.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Shashi,

Based on your application description, I understand that you will need a simplified version of a Charge through Dongle. Please refer to our CCG3 datasheet Application Diagram Figure 16 -  https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-EZ-PD_CCG3_USB_Type-C_Controller_with_Power_Delivery-DataShee...

I assume that you will need PD capability on both Type-C Plug and Receptacle side. Please check the above reference and let me know if I have mistaken something.

Best regards,
Pranava