USB charge controller idea

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
abrhm90
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

I came up with an idea using USB Power Delivery / Quick charge. I did some research in the topic, but please excuse me if my terminology is not correct.

The device I would like to make is a fairly simple charge controller for phones/notebooks. It only has 2 type-c connectors, one for the power source and one for the phone/notebook which has to be charged. The phone/notebook is running some software which is communicating with the charge controller over USB, using this the user is able to limit the charge speed or set battery limit (e.g: stop at 80%).

During my research I found your company product EZ-PD™ CCG3PA which seems a perfect fit to this problem. I watched the video series and read some specifications/articles on the topic, but I'm still not sure if this idea is feasible.

As an expert what do you think is this idea feasible?

Are there any similar products which I'm unaware of?

Are there any common pitfalls which I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Gabor

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Yes , your understanding is correct. CCG3PA is the best fit for your desired application. 

Please refer to the Datasheet of CCG3PA to know more about the product.

To get started, you can use the CCG3PA evaluation kit

CCG3PA evaluation kit CYPD4532 can be configured to use both as a Charger and Power adapter.

Please refer to the following link to get started with the evaluation kit guide.

https://www.cypress.com/file/372576/download

CCG3PA can be configured over CC interface and SWD. Please download PSOC creator and Power SDK and refer to the example codes for configuring it to your desired specification. 

Once you have configured your kit to work as a charger, you can limit the charge current. 

Please let me know if you need any help while designing.

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Yes , your understanding is correct. CCG3PA is the best fit for your desired application. 

Please refer to the Datasheet of CCG3PA to know more about the product.

To get started, you can use the CCG3PA evaluation kit

CCG3PA evaluation kit CYPD4532 can be configured to use both as a Charger and Power adapter.

Please refer to the following link to get started with the evaluation kit guide.

https://www.cypress.com/file/372576/download

CCG3PA can be configured over CC interface and SWD. Please download PSOC creator and Power SDK and refer to the example codes for configuring it to your desired specification. 

Once you have configured your kit to work as a charger, you can limit the charge current. 

Please let me know if you need any help while designing.

Regards,

Abhilash P

abrhm90
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Thanks, for your answer it was really helpful, I'm still in the research phase, so later maybe I'm going to have some further questions.

0 Likes