USB Type C Power input

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BaN_4706911
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

In our processor board, they used the normal power supply input connector.

We want to replace with USB Type C Power supply input connector.

Our processor has the below things:

1. USB 3.0 Host controller

2. USB 2.0 Host controller

To get the USB Type-C power input, What kind of supports are needed from Processor chip?

We want to confirm that we can use the USB Type-C Power input to this processor?

What are the details/points to check for USB Type-C support in this processor side, i.e.

This processor is compatible for USB Type-C Power supply input.

Please provide your ideas.

After this, need to choose the chip.

-Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

Thanks for the information. As per my understanding, you would like to replace the DC jack in the kit with a Type-C connector and I think you'll be using a receptacle. Please check the KBA for differences between plug and receptacle designs.

Since you would only be needing power from a source and not transferring data over the Type-C port, please check BCR or CCG3PA controllers for your application.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

-Please let us know the power supply requirement for your processor board. Could you attach a system level diagram if possible?

-Please also confirm if you are going for a type-C receptacle based design?

Best Regards,

Sananya

Hello,

I am from Software team. The below details may not be 100% correct.

1. Power Supply:

DC Jack:

TX2: 5.5V-19.6V

2. We used the Nvidia Jetson Tx2 Developer's kit. In internet, you can get more details.

This processor board is ARM Processor and it has Deep Sleep mode and PMIC chips.

3.   What is meant by type-C receptacle based design?

The device, the main purpose is Power Sink.

-Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the information. As per my understanding, you would like to replace the DC jack in the kit with a Type-C connector and I think you'll be using a receptacle. Please check the KBA for differences between plug and receptacle designs.

Since you would only be needing power from a source and not transferring data over the Type-C port, please check BCR or CCG3PA controllers for your application.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I got the details as Plug and Receptacle.

Please confirm the below things:

1. In processor, Do we need any support for this USB Type-C receptacle?

As per understanding, no support is required to this. Please confirm.

2. In Processor, Do we need any BC 1.2 or PD 3.0 support? Please confirm.

-Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello,

In our design, we need to use the Battery also.

Then can we use the above design or any other changes are required?

Please confirm.

-Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello,

1. No, you are right, the processor firmware does not need to be modified.

2. No, since the PD controller that you will be using will be capable of negotiating with the source as per requirement. However, please let us know the total power required for your board i.e. what is the current sinked by the external AC adapter?

3. Please let us know if your battery will be used for charging the board completely while removing the type-C charger or for only one of the ports while the type-C charger is connected?

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Why do you want these details? a. Total power required for the board

2. The battery will be used for charging the board completely while removing the type-C charger. Yes.

3. for only one of the ports while the type-C charger is connected?

What is the meaning of it?

-Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello,

-This is to ensure that the sink PDOs that we set in our device can negotiate the required power for your board from the source. For example, you may need 60W so you could have a 20V, 3A PDO in the PD controller.

-In that case, you would need to include a battery charger IC such as SC8802 to manage the charging and discharging of the battery.

-We wanted to confirm whether you would be having either the Type-C charger or battery as a source for the board and devices or you would be using the Type-C charger for the board while the battery would be powering a device (on the Type-A port for example) simultaneously. I think your requirement is the former implementation?

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes