USB-C charging Hub

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joa_4818671
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi

We are working on a device that needs the ability to charge connected devices and if a data connection is present (at UFP) act as a hub. (while charging)

Following the Charge through dongle application, it seems this would be possible.

2 port hub.png

VBUS circuit not shown

For the CCG3, we have the CYPD3120 and the CYPD2122 for the CCG2

3 questions:

1) should the CCG3 and CCG2 be swapped? (in the diagram)

2) For the the HX3, CYUSB3302 we are unsure if the ACA-dock feature is necessary? or is there a better suited HUB chip?

3) The pass through dongle uses a DRP CCG3, (CYPD3123) because our application dose not require DRP could the CYPD3120 work in its place? (for a pass through application)

Thanks

Jonas

0 Likes
4 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Jonas,

At first, please kindly update the Type-C interface specification for each port to decide which Type-C interface needs CCGx device or not. 

1) should the CCG3 and CCG2 be swapped? (in the diagram)

>> Please update above questions at first. 

2) For the the HX3, CYUSB3302 we are unsure if the ACA-dock feature is necessary? or is there a better suited HUB chip?

>>CYUSB3302 is low cost already.

3) The pass through dongle uses a DRP CCG3, (CYPD3123) because our application dose not require DRP could the CYPD3120 work in its place? (for a pass through application)

>> No, by default CYPD3120 firmware is supporting 4 lane DP only, CYPD3125 supporting 2 lane and Muti function DisplayPort. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hello Lisa,

I did not realise the CYPD3120 was meant for display adaptors, my mistake

Our device is for managing tablets and mobiles, so only device data will be passed through the ports, no audio or display adaptors

UFP type C port:

Attached to dedicated chargers for fast charging the connected devices, or attached to a host computer to update software on the connected devices. The host needs to be able to see both devices connected (USB 2.0 port and DFP type C port)

DFP type C port:

Will be connected to the port of portable devices, (tablets, phones)

- when UFP is connected to a host, the DFP port should allow the connected device to be accessible to the host.

Let my know if more clarification is needed

Thanks for the response 

Jonas

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Jonas,

Since the design is for USB3.x&USB2.0 support. It is fine to use CCG3 or CCG2, since CCG3 have integrated FS USB which could be customized/working as Billboard for Alternate mode. 

DETAILS case:

If UFP is not VBUS power higher than 5V requirements, and UFP is only for USB3.0 with Type-C plug, the CCG3 or CCG2 is ok for the UFP interface. Even through, save CCGx and use Rd on CC line is also work for this design. 

If VBUS need higher than 5V charge through from UFP to DFP,  CCG3 or CCG2 is ok for the UFP interface.

For the DFP design, I am not sure whether this is plug or receptacle, if it is plug and 5V, adding an  Rp on CC line of DFP interface could be achieve the design. 

If the DFP is receptacle, whatever 5V or higher on VBUS, the CCG2 or CCG3 is okay for this design and acting as CC orientation detection or power negotation.  

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa

That is interesting, I see in the datasheet for CCG3 it lists a FS billboard, but I cant see where the down stream ports would connect? Or can it only indicate for alternative modes like HDMI adapter, or headphone adapter,....

In terms of data connection, our application doesn't need alternate modes, just a basic data connection to manage the firmware of the connected USB devices. We need it to act as a USB hub for the two down stream ports.

If using the FS billboard on the CCG3 would we still need the HX3 to connect the 2 down stream ports, or can the CCG3 handle it standalone?

We will be using PD features, our nominal input should be around 9V 3A to the UFP type - C, and on the DFP type - C port, so having the CCGx is necessary.

What CCG3 part number do you think best fits this application

Thank you for the help so far

Jonas

0 Likes