USB 2.0 & DisplayPort over USB type C

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
alplc_4101886
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have a question about DisplayPort over USB type C alternate mode.

Now we are working at the project of device that act as a video signal source and should implement only USB 2.0 link and 4-lane DisplayPort (without!!! USB 3.0) alternate mode over usb type C. I have seen UFP_D Type-C Receptacle Pin Assignments for Normal Plug Orientation & Flipped Plug Orientation (VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode on USB Type-C Connector Standard) and I found that it is done so that there is no need for use extra mux for flipping DP-signals

My question is: could i route my 4 DP-pairs directly from DP-driver IC to type C connector without using any SS-MUX. I have brifly looked throught specification and

coudn't find any forbiddance. But i'm still worry is it correct to do it in such a way?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

1. VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode on USB Type-C Connector Standard defines many UFP_D and DFP_U pin assignments.

DFP_U pin assignments A/B/C/D/E/F

UFP_D pin assignments A/B/C/D/E/F

For 4 lane DisplayPort support pin assignments is A/C/E.

2. For your design,

the project of device that act as a video signal source and should implement only USB 2.0 link and 4-lane DisplayPort (without!!! USB 3.0) alternate mode over usb type C.

>> It should be one of above DFP_U, or support all of them DFP_U. And your design have to advertise which UFP_D pin assignments is going to support.

3. Normal Plug Orientation of & Flipped Plug Orientation

If you are implemented DFP_U pin assignments E on your project. The hardware pin assignments have to:

A1GND
A2ML2+
A3ML2-
A4VBUS
A5CC1
A6D+
A7D-
A8AUX_CH_P
A9VBUS
A10ML0-
A11ML0+
A12GND
B1GND
B2ML1+
B3ML1-
B4VBUS
B5CC2
B6D+
B7D-
B8AUX_CH_N
B9VBUS
B10ML3-
B11ML3+
B12GND

You could take a look UFP_D pin assignments A/C/E to see whether both Normal Plug Orientation of and Flipped Plug Orientation of them can match above pin assignments or not.

4. If you are going to design a Type-C plug on your end, the MUX can be saved.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

1. VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode on USB Type-C Connector Standard defines many UFP_D and DFP_U pin assignments.

DFP_U pin assignments A/B/C/D/E/F

UFP_D pin assignments A/B/C/D/E/F

For 4 lane DisplayPort support pin assignments is A/C/E.

2. For your design,

the project of device that act as a video signal source and should implement only USB 2.0 link and 4-lane DisplayPort (without!!! USB 3.0) alternate mode over usb type C.

>> It should be one of above DFP_U, or support all of them DFP_U. And your design have to advertise which UFP_D pin assignments is going to support.

3. Normal Plug Orientation of & Flipped Plug Orientation

If you are implemented DFP_U pin assignments E on your project. The hardware pin assignments have to:

A1GND
A2ML2+
A3ML2-
A4VBUS
A5CC1
A6D+
A7D-
A8AUX_CH_P
A9VBUS
A10ML0-
A11ML0+
A12GND
B1GND
B2ML1+
B3ML1-
B4VBUS
B5CC2
B6D+
B7D-
B8AUX_CH_N
B9VBUS
B10ML3-
B11ML3+
B12GND

You could take a look UFP_D pin assignments A/C/E to see whether both Normal Plug Orientation of and Flipped Plug Orientation of them can match above pin assignments or not.

4. If you are going to design a Type-C plug on your end, the MUX can be saved.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes