Some hardware issues with CCG2

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KEMINGQ
Level 1
Level 1
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Dear Cypress Engineer

I have a few questions for you about CCG2(EZ-PD™ CCG2 USB Type-C Monitor/Dock Solution (cypress.com)). The reason is that we are now doing the NVIDIA Jetson Nano NX Board. We need type-C to integrate DP Alt Mode functionality. So we found your solution for CCG2.

I have a few questions about your solution. First, usb billboard in this scheme is necessary if I don't use billboard Device in our PC. Secondly, your plan uses two chips, CYPD2121 and CYPD2125, which act on CC control of Upstream and Dowmstream respectively. Secondly, your plan uses two chips, CYPD2121 and CYPD2125, which act on CC control of upstream and Dowmstream respectively. But I only found CYPD2122 on your official website, is it the same function as theirs? I want to use it as Dowmstream. Third, do we need to write any necessary programs for this solution? Third, do we need to write any necessary programs for this solution? Or it can be used once the hardware circuits are properly built.    

Thank you very much for being here, and I hope you can answer my questionsion.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

"First, usb billboard in this scheme is necessary if I don't use billboard Device in our PC."

Yes, it is.

"Secondly, your plan uses two chips, CYPD2121 and CYPD2125, which act on CC control of upstream and Dowmstream respectively. But I only found CYPD2122 on your official website, is it the same function as theirs? I want to use it as Dowmstream"

CYPD2122 contains both Rp and Rd termination resistors. It can act as a DRP device having both the functions of DFP and UFP. Hence it can be used as a DFP for your application. Attached the image for your reference,

Abhilash_P_0-1636361590353.png

" Third, do we need to write any necessary programs for this solution? Or it can be used once the hardware circuits are properly built."

As reference to the above attached image, CYPD2122 contains only the I2C bootloader and hence it is required to update the firmware based on our application .

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

"First, usb billboard in this scheme is necessary if I don't use billboard Device in our PC."

Yes, it is.

"Secondly, your plan uses two chips, CYPD2121 and CYPD2125, which act on CC control of upstream and Dowmstream respectively. But I only found CYPD2122 on your official website, is it the same function as theirs? I want to use it as Dowmstream"

CYPD2122 contains both Rp and Rd termination resistors. It can act as a DRP device having both the functions of DFP and UFP. Hence it can be used as a DFP for your application. Attached the image for your reference,

Abhilash_P_0-1636361590353.png

" Third, do we need to write any necessary programs for this solution? Or it can be used once the hardware circuits are properly built."

As reference to the above attached image, CYPD2122 contains only the I2C bootloader and hence it is required to update the firmware based on our application .

Regards,

Abhilash P

Hi,

I have a few more questions for you. Is there a default configuration for GPIO of CYPD2122, or all GPIO needs to be reconfigured?

Thanks

KEMINGQ

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Just a quick update before proceeding further, 

CCG2 is not recommended for new designs of docks/monitors. CCG4 offers a much more integrated solution for this application and also supports PD3.0. Please refer to the CCG4 datasheet more details. 

There are no default configurations. All the GPIO's can be reconfigured based on your circuit application.

Please refer Figure 20 in page 21 from the CCG2 datasheet for more details. Attached the datasheet for your reference. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

hi

Thanks for your advice, but I have found many channels, and this chip is not for sale yet. I have one more question. There is no USB billboard, only CYPD2122 can realize PD protocol docking, can it run normally in DP Alt mode? Because I want to simplify the circuit.

Thanks,

KEMINGQ

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

No, it is recommended to use it. Please refer to this KBA for more details.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes