Register Descriptions for HX3PD

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cvanbeek
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

I'm using the CYUSB4347 HX3PD chip for a power delivery device.  The datasheet (page 12) shows that an embedded controller can interface with the HX3PD over the I2C_2  interface.  Is there a separate document for this i2c interface that includes register descriptions and available commands?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Cory,

Sincere apologies for the delay in response, I was checking internally with the concerned team for the feasibility of your application. Please find the responses below: 

-The HX3PD PD controller can support only 2 ports and act as a source. So, you would have to add external PD controller for the other two ports and modify the firmware accordingly.

-Please note that HX3PD PD ports are designed for PD Source role and not designed for DRP role so the device could only be sinking power.

-The PD contract related information from HX3PD PD controller can be sent through the DMC as it acts as I2C master for the PD controller on the I2C_1 interface.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Sananya_14
Hello,

HX3PD has 3 controllers which are DMC, PD and Hub controller, please refer to the datasheet for more details on each of these controller. The I2C_2 is an I2C interface to DMC as I2C slave using an external I2C master.

The default firmware doesnt support any commands from an external I2C master to change the configuration. Please let us know what your requirement is since we would have to customize the firmware to support any particular features.

Best Regards,
Sananya
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello Sananya,

Our application needs to pull information from the hub on the connected devices such as:

• Whether the device is sourcing or sinking power
  • Negotiated power delivery wattage
  • Connected device info such as device name and percent charge

We also would like the ability to manually set power delivery voltage and current for a port that's connected to an older device that doesn't support power negotiation.

All this info should be available on the hub, we just need to find a way to get the info from the hub to our external controller.  Looking at the EZ-USB HX3PD HUB Firmware User Guide, page 51, section 7.2.5.4, all this information is available with the dpm_get_info() command in the PD API.  It would be great if there was a way to share that information over i2c to our external controller.  It looks like it may need to go through the DMC, using the i2c_1 interface.

We would like to set up all 4 USB-C ports for Power Delivery. We would like to know which GPIO to use for this

Best regards,

Cory

0 Likes
cvanbeek
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello Sananya,

I just wanted to follow up on this thread.  We are still looking for support to get custom firmware so we can get the information mentioned in my reply.  Please let me know what we need to do to start that process.

Best regards,

Cory

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello Cory,

Sincere apologies for the delay in response, I was checking internally with the concerned team for the feasibility of your application. Please find the responses below: 

-The HX3PD PD controller can support only 2 ports and act as a source. So, you would have to add external PD controller for the other two ports and modify the firmware accordingly.

-Please note that HX3PD PD ports are designed for PD Source role and not designed for DRP role so the device could only be sinking power.

-The PD contract related information from HX3PD PD controller can be sent through the DMC as it acts as I2C master for the PD controller on the I2C_1 interface.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes