Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
TaIg_4806376
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First question asked Welcome!

I try to design USB 3.1 gen 2 TYPE C with PD using CYUSB4347-BZXC Chip.

Application is USB Dock with bus power.

I'm designed to USB circuit for the first time, so I don't really understand USB design.

I thought that the CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PDEVK would be good if the circuit was changed from self-power to bus power.

Please see the attached file that draw the Block Diagram.

(DS2~DS7 is not use this time ,but will use in feature.)

I don't know how it works with this block diagram configuration as USB TYPE C DOCK using bus power.

Is  there any problem about this block diagram configuration?

Or Is there a better circuit configuration?

Would you tell me advice?

Best Regards,

Takashi Igarashi

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Please note that the CY6611 EVK can't support bus-powered mode as the 19V adapter is necessary for hub to be powered and even if the HX3PD US port is a power sink, no current is actually consumed i.e. the sink PDO is for 5V, 0A.

Your block diagram looks fine for a bus-powered application but it will not be easy to implement as HX3PD is meant for power source dock applications and doesnt have dead battery Rd termination that is required for bus-powered mode. So for this configuration, we would recommend you to use a different PD controller and a separate USB 3.1 hub such as HX3 (if USB 3.1 Gen 2 is not a mandatory requirement). Please refer to the CCG4 dock reference design as an example since CCG4 supports dead battery Rd on some parts. Alternatively, you could control the HX3PD US port with another PD controller and modify the firmware accordingly.

Please also refer to a similar thread- https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-Hosts-Hubs-Transceivers/Re-CY6611-EZ-USB-HX3PD-as-a-PD-sink/m-p...

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Please note that the CY6611 EVK can't support bus-powered mode as the 19V adapter is necessary for hub to be powered and even if the HX3PD US port is a power sink, no current is actually consumed i.e. the sink PDO is for 5V, 0A.

Your block diagram looks fine for a bus-powered application but it will not be easy to implement as HX3PD is meant for power source dock applications and doesnt have dead battery Rd termination that is required for bus-powered mode. So for this configuration, we would recommend you to use a different PD controller and a separate USB 3.1 hub such as HX3 (if USB 3.1 Gen 2 is not a mandatory requirement). Please refer to the CCG4 dock reference design as an example since CCG4 supports dead battery Rd on some parts. Alternatively, you could control the HX3PD US port with another PD controller and modify the firmware accordingly.

Please also refer to a similar thread- https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-Hosts-Hubs-Transceivers/Re-CY6611-EZ-USB-HX3PD-as-a-PD-sink/m-p...

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes