Powering the CYPD3120

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Idohamdi
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hi all!

I would like to power my CYPD3120 chip in a different way from the datasheet and would like to know:

a. if this is possible or are there any HW changes to make in my schematic

b. What changes to do in the EZ-PD power configuration.

In the attached file you can see what are the basics of what i want to do in my design.

The target of my schematic is to *not* use VCONN from the Type-c connector - what are my options? SW changes in EZ-PD? connecting VSYS to VCONN on the chip? what about VBUS on the chip?

Thanks in advance,

Ido

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

There is no change required on the firmware side for the setup you have shared. In EZ-PD Configuration set VCONN required and VBUS Required to Yes. 

PranavaYN_0-1648473120141.png

PranavaYN_1-1648473143508.png

Can you please try out the following configuration for 2 lane DP and let me know the outcome?

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Pranava_YN

Hi Ido,

If you are planning to power CCG3 through VBUS, you can just connect VBUS as in the "Before" schematic you have shared. You will not require any modification in configuration. You can leave VSYS and VCONN pins unconnected.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes

Hi pranava,

I belive you misunderstood my target here - let me clarify,

I would like to power the CYPD3120 from an external source (LDO 5V to 3.3V) so i can shut it down whenever i want.

To conclude, I would like to power off the CYPD3120 by shutting down its input voltage, coming from the LDO.

Connecting VBUS as the "before" schamtic would make me disconnect the source (USB-C) to power off the CYPD3120.

How do i power the CYPD3120 from the external 3.3V LDO?

Best regards,

Ido

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

I got confused as the schematic showed LDO being powered by VBUS.

In case you want to power it up externally, You can connect the LDO output to both VSYS and VCONN pin.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
lock attach
Idohamdi
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hi Pranava,

Thanks for your reply,

Just out of curiosity, what is exacly the purpose of VCONN inside the CYPD3120 chip? Why can't i just connect power only to VSYS - Assuming i'm not using VCONN fom the connector?

Regarding this topic as well, I saw different configurations on the EZ-PD Configuration Utility that may come in handy here so i would be happy if you could explain them (in detail... beacause the EZ-PD manual wasn't helpful):

1)VCONN Required and VBUS Required (in picture 1):

Idohamdi_0-1648116428252.png

With your previous answer - do i need to modify something here? what is the purpose of this configuration (When do i use it)?

2) Another question - different from our discussion - does the CCG3 CYPD3120 Support 2-lane Display port? I tried modifying the (picture2) settings while only having 2 lanes connected and wasn't successful.

Best regards,

Ido

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

The firmware expects the chip to be powered using VCONN. If you don't want to connect VCONN you will have to modify firmware to stop VCONN monitoring. As VCONN is monitored, I recommended you to use it.

VCONN required and VBUS required are defined to specify whether VCONN or VBUS is required for normal operation of device during alternate mode.

Regarding 2 lane DisplayPort, Can you please set the Modes supported to "D" and check if it works.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Pranava,

Thank you for your reply!

First, The following photo describe what we want to do-

Idohamdi_0-1648128545608.png

(Also attached)

Can you tell me please - Step By Step - What firmware do i need to change? and where ? EZ-PD? please tell me as much details as possible

Second, Regarding the 2 - lane DP - i tried changing to "D" and got no difference:

a) when all lanes where connected - i got MAX resolution

b) when only 2 lanes were connected (ML0 and ML1 are connected) - and got no display shown (only billboard data).

Can you please guide me also Step By Step - what lanes are neccesery for normal operation (low resolution)? How do i modify firmware to do that? - again, as much detailes as you can:)

Best regards,

Ido

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

There is no change required on the firmware side for the setup you have shared. In EZ-PD Configuration set VCONN required and VBUS Required to Yes. 

PranavaYN_0-1648473120141.png

PranavaYN_1-1648473143508.png

Can you please try out the following configuration for 2 lane DP and let me know the outcome?

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes

Hi Pranava,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the 2 lane configuration - i have modified the 2 configurations you sent and still got the 2560x1440 graphics.

When i removed physiclly ML2 and ML3 (ML0 and ML1 are connected) - The display said "no DP signal available".

What should i do next?

Thanks,

Ido

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi Ido,

Does both Source and Sink support 4 lane DP?  If that's the case, I think the firmware is prioritizing 4 lane DP. Manually removing ML2 and ML3 is not the solution as the actual handshake happens over CC lines.

Is it possible to share USB PD log taken from any USB-PD analyzer so that I can verify this?

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Pranava,

Its true that the Computer and external DP device i am using support DP1.4 but i would expect the CCG to demand using only 2 lanes while negotiating with the computer and when i connect the external DP device only 2 lanes data would be an option.

I added a log using the data center software (Total phase software) - you can open the file with this software - download it here https://www.totalphase.com/products/data-center/

Focus on lines 468-488: Up until here the CYPD3120 negotiated with the computer.
In these lines i connected a DP device - it seems the computer (Source) says to CYPD3120 it can support DP1.3 and the CYPD3120 (Sink) agrees (GoodCRC) - i would like the CYPD3120 to disagree and demand 2 lanes data transfer.

To conclude, How can i configure the CYPD3120 to answer the SOURCE that his DP competabilities are not 1.3 which is 4 lanes but rather only 2 lanes.

Best Regrads,

Ido

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi Ido,

PranavaYN_0-1649055803484.png

The Dongle is responding to Discover Modes request with DP v1.3 set to 1. VDO value is still 0x1005 instead of 0xC05. Can you please share the project or binary that you are using. I will check at my end.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Pranava,

All i do as of right now is update some configurations in EZ-PD (some are the ones you shared and other are setting current max to 3A)

the EZ-PD files are included here.

Hope we'll understand why the device still uses 0x1005...

Best regards,

Ido

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

This thread is continued in the following thread - https://community.infineon.com/t5/USB-EZ-PD-Type-C/CYPD3120-DisplayPort-dongle-Two-lanes-configurati...

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes