Power rating for Rsense for CCG3PA

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoLu_3455101
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Hi,

Is there an equation or recommendation on how to determine power rating for Rsense (current sense resistor) for CCG3PA?  Datasheet says to use a 5 mOhms resistor, but did not mention required power rating. The evaluation kit/board uses a 2W resistor, but the footprint size is big. I am tight on space so if I don't really need 2W, I can use a smaller physical-sized resistor. Was the 2W calculated based on the maximum 5A support of the USB-PD spec? My max current to the consumer is 3A.

Thanks,

Jon

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

The 2W was chosen as a precaution and to suit all operating conditions, you are right that under normal conditions that much would not be necessary. You can downgrade to 1W. If your end application has elevated operating temperatures, you will require higher than normal ratings.

Best regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
JoLu_3455101
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Just to clarify my question more, obviously we know P = I(square)R, but even with PD-spec max of 5A and the 5 milliohm resistor, I don't know how the 2W rating was chosen for the CCG3PA EVB. Please elaborate so I know I am not missing anything here.

0 Likes
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

The 2W was chosen as a precaution and to suit all operating conditions, you are right that under normal conditions that much would not be necessary. You can downgrade to 1W. If your end application has elevated operating temperatures, you will require higher than normal ratings.

Best regards,

Rajath

0 Likes