PD source reference designs (based on Qorvo)

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

There are two "charger / power-bank" PD source designs, both using CCG3PA.
would be great with some input if there's someone here on the forum that has some insights on the power-topology for each.

ACT5101 (buck + boost)
https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3pa-usb-c-pps-39w-dual-port-car-cha...

ACT4751 (buck)
https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3pa-usb-cpps-power-bank-solution-us...

Both can basically do the same thing, while ACT4751/ACT4752 provides higher switching frequencies, they are also controlled via I2C, compared to ACT5101 that directly controls the switching note of the boost.

- What would be the pros and cons of the direct-feedback solution vs the higher level i2c voltage control?

- In the first design, I'm not sure why a boost is needed unless you want to run on 5V VBUS, still being able to provide a higher PDO.

Would be great with some input on these two designs.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello DaEr_349131

The main reason why the ACT5101 is directly controlled is that it is needed to perform PPS.

PPS certification tests are difficult to pass unless direct feedback is used.

In the case of ACT4751-101-REF01, as there are four ports, I2C is required due to the lack of feedback pins.

ACT4751-101-REF03 supports PPS,  however, the schematic is not shown on the page.

Answer1) Direct feedback allows for much finer regulation and PPS support, but I2C allows for further customization of the regulator via I2C commands as well as other functionalities inherent to the regulator.

Answer2) Your assumption is right, as this a car charger adapter, the input voltage would be 12V, and the description says that the max PDO voltage is 9V. I assume that the boost is there in case a PDO higher than 12V was implemented.

The main difference in the designs is that one is a car charger adapter and the other is a standard DC/DC source.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies