PD firmware for Thunderbolt NVM and bus-powered device

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BHeumueller
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First question asked Welcome!

Hi

we are working on a bus-powered Thunderbolt device using Titan-Ridge JHL7440, CCG5C CYPD5126-40LQXIT and Bill Board Controller CY7C65215-32LTXIT. The PD firmware should be merged with the Thunderbolt firmware using Intel Imaginarium to finally store it on a single SPI Flash.

So far i have used the Thunderbolt device configuration utility and EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

I have tried the Thunderbolt device configuration utility with the instructions on https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/vd_usb_thunderbolt_ref/ and the provided reference designs do not include a bus-powered one. Toffee Creek seems to be close to our use-case, but no downloads are available.

The EZ-PD Configuration Utility however can customize the settings as wanted, but i have not found a possibility to generate the require bin file, that is output of the Thunderbolt device configuration utility.

Is there a possibility to generate a firmware file for a bus-powered Thunderbolt device? I am looking for a possibility like the one described by TI here: https://e2e.ti.com/support/interface-group/interface/f/interface-forum/744271/tps65983-creating-flas...

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Firmware configured for self power can not be directly configured as bus powered through configuration utility. This will require customization of firmware which is currently not supported. 
Please reach out to Intel regarding bus-powered toffee creek design files.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Firmware configured for self power can not be directly configured as bus powered through configuration utility. This will require customization of firmware which is currently not supported. 
Please reach out to Intel regarding bus-powered toffee creek design files.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes