Most simple PD Source only solution

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

Which part would you say is the absolute easiest to get a PD source only solution up & running?
it should preferably support PPS, but a few fixed PDO's would be ok as well.

I know CCG3PA is most common, or at least the part with most ref-designs with OnSemi + Qorvo regulators. The issue is that the stack is closed source, so if you need to change to another regulator from them or another company, you'd have to write it from scratch.

What would be the preferred choice here?

ps.

I really like the simplicity of EZ-PD BCR that comes pre-programmed but still offers additional features via I2C.
...really wish there was a EZ-PD PD Source equivalent, simple, pre-programmed (no swd needs) with support for a few well known buck and buck/boost power regulators.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello DaEr_349131,

As you well said,  BCR is by far the simplest product, but it only supports sink mode.

Regarding PPS, currently only CCG3PA has dedicated hardware blocks for it.

Thus, I would suggest you choose CCG3PA for your application.

Only the PD-stack and other proprietary blocks are closed source.

We provide many APIs to interface with other regulators, such as via I2C or PWM.

These are fully customizable for your applicaiton.

In addition, CCG3PA has an easy set-up Feedback input which lets you interface with the regulator just by setting the voltage divider accordingly.

If you have any other doubts, please let me know.

Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello DaEr_349131,

As you well said,  BCR is by far the simplest product, but it only supports sink mode.

Regarding PPS, currently only CCG3PA has dedicated hardware blocks for it.

Thus, I would suggest you choose CCG3PA for your application.

Only the PD-stack and other proprietary blocks are closed source.

We provide many APIs to interface with other regulators, such as via I2C or PWM.

These are fully customizable for your applicaiton.

In addition, CCG3PA has an easy set-up Feedback input which lets you interface with the regulator just by setting the voltage divider accordingly.

If you have any other doubts, please let me know.

Pablo

0 Likes
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi DaEr_349131,

As Pablo suggested CCG3PA is the best option for your application. 

But if you need a PD source only controller with inbuilt buck-boost feature, you can try our latest 7th Gen PD source only chip, that is CCG7D which is targeted for Automotive rear seat charger application. It is a dual-port USB Type-C Power Delivery (PD) solution with integrated Buck-Boost controllers. 

CCG7D has integrated gate drivers for VBUS NFET on the provider path. It also includes hardware-controlled protection features on the VBUS. CCG7D supports a wide input voltage range (4V-24V with 40V tolerance) and programmable switching frequency (150 kHz–600 kHz) in an integrated PD solution.

It Supports two USB-PD ports and also supports latest USB-PD 3.0 version 2.0 including Programmable Power Supply (PPS) Mode.

For more details and reference designs regarding CCG7D,  please contact your local sales office.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

CCG7D indeed sounds like the best solution.

It seems that no parts available just yet, but once it's released it sounds like a great combo-solution

0 Likes