Issue With Programming CYPD3135 Using The CY4531 Kit Over CC Lines

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dscully
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello,

I was attempting to do initial programming of a CYPD3135 device over the CC lines using the CY4531 eval kit and now are running into issues with detecting the device.

The first time we attempted to program we were able to detect the target device with the factory default firmware using the EZ-PD configuration utility. We attempted to program the device with a modified version of the CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook example modified to target CYPD3135 and CC bootloader and got a GET_SILICON_ID U_VDM error (modifications were following instructions here: https://community.infineon.com/t5/USB-EZ-PD-Type-C/Replacing-CYPD3125-with-CYPD3135/m-p/287357#M5913). We then tried programming from an unmodified version of the CYPD3135-40LQXI_power_adapter project. After programming, the device is no longer detected by the EZ-PD utility.

To attempt to revert back to factory conditions, we purchased a MiniProg 3 to program the chip directly over the SWD lines. We were able to flash the device with PSoC Programmer successfully with the image below: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx SDK\CCG3-CCG4\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3135-40LQXI_power_adapter

However, the EZ-PD configuration utility still does not detect the device after SWD flashing. Is the hex file in the location above the same as the factory image? Furthermore, how best do we go about debugging this issue?

Thank you,

David

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi David,

Sorry for delay in responding. 
CY4531 has USB-Serial chip and is used to program via I2C interface. In order to update firmware via CC interface, you would need CY4532 Power board which can load firmware through this CC interface. Please refer to 5.3.2 section in the CY4532 User Guide.
Please let me know your programming setup.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Can you please use Miniprog to program the CC bootloader present in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx SDK\CCG3-CCG4\Firmware\projects\CYPD3135-40LQXI_power_adapter\CYPD3135-40LQXI_power_adapter.cydsn\Bootloader\CYPD3135-40LQXI_boot_1_0_3_389_0_0_0_pa.hex and then try to connect to EZ-PD Configuration Utility? Also please share the project if possible so that I can check at my end.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Pranava,

I was able to program the bootloader you specified but I still do not see any activity with the EZ-PD Configuration utility.

bootloader_pgm.PNGez_pd.PNG

I've also attached a copy of the project that I initially tried to program into the device when it was initially responding to the EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Thank you for your support,

David

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi David,

Sorry for delay in responding. 
CY4531 has USB-Serial chip and is used to program via I2C interface. In order to update firmware via CC interface, you would need CY4532 Power board which can load firmware through this CC interface. Please refer to 5.3.2 section in the CY4532 User Guide.
Please let me know your programming setup.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes

Hi Pranava,

Thank you for your response. We can switch to use the CY4532, however I am a bit confused because the EZ PD CCG3 USB Datasheet indicates that we should be able to use the CY4531 for for programming the CYPD3135 over the CC lines. We are using the setup below:

dscully_1-1642616871311.png

If the CY4531 cannot be used for this purpose, why were we able to initially able to program the the CYPD3135 if the datasheet claims that the default bootloader is "CC Bootloader" and not I2C?

dscully_2-1642617344162.png

Thank you,

David

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi 

I checked internally and found that CY4531 kit can be used to program CYPD3135 as you have shared. 

You are powering up the board with CYPD3135 from external source right?
Also please let me know if the firmware you have created when SWD programmed is working as expected(at least can you get a PD contract?)

It would be helpful if you can provide PD log when you try to connect CY4531 to CY3135 board. 

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes

Hi Pranava,

Thank you for confirming that the CY4531 kit should work. It is the case that the board with CYPD3135 is powered from external source when attempting to use EZ-PD Configuration Utility. The firmware we created when programmed using SWD does behave as expected for our intended application. It just appears that EZ-PD Configuration does not see it when using the CY4531. Can you elaborate on how to capture the PD log?

While we were waiting for a reply we purchased the CY4532 kit. Interestingly, using this kit does detect our firmware with the EZ-PD Configuration Utility in the configuration listed in section 5.3.2.

We are going to built up another sample of our board with a factory programmed CYPD3135 and attempt to load our firmware using the CY4532 kit (we are developing our strategy for mass programming and wish to avoid SWD programming). If that works we will just use the CY4532 in production.

Thank you,

David

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

You can use any PD protocol Analyzers such as - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/cy4500/?utm_source=cypress&utm_medium=refe... to capture the PD log.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
dscully
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi,

Thank you for the info on the analyzer. We confirmed that CY4532 appears to work on factory programmed parts. While we are unsure why the other kit is having issues we will table that for now as CY4532 is working solution for us.

Thanks again for the help,

David

0 Likes