How can i force charge a device

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JaVu_4007791
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In continuation to my previous thread "Unable to charge a dead battery tablet"

How can i force charge a device (say with 5V 1Amp) by CCG3 PD and not get a Yellow warning icon.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Jai,

If you want to force 5V on VBUS before the Rd is present on CC line, this is not follow Type-C SPEC -- VSAFE0V and compliance issues with other standard Type-C device.  Please kindly aware above information.

If you still want to enable it. you can enable the VBUS_P_CTRL in the firmware directly.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

From previous threads you have been filled, the root cause is the device is not enable Rd on CC line. Is this issue was resolved? If the CC line have assert Rd, the Source (CCG3) will enable 5V on VBUS.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi,

The issue "Unable to charge a dead battery tablet" is not resolved & looking for a solution.

I am thinking of doing a force charge to the tablet, until the tablet asserts Rd. After which the tablet will perform a normal charging based on negotiation.

Could you please suggest if this is a viable solution or is there a better way to handle this?

Regards

Jai

0 Likes

Hi Jai,

If you want to force 5V on VBUS before the Rd is present on CC line, this is not follow Type-C SPEC -- VSAFE0V and compliance issues with other standard Type-C device.  Please kindly aware above information.

If you still want to enable it. you can enable the VBUS_P_CTRL in the firmware directly.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes it is not a standard method to do. I have tried this logic and i am able to charge the bad tablets too.

My fix:

//This method force charges for 30 seconds and then resets itself

void deadBatteryTimerCallback(uint8_t aPort, timer_id_t aTimerId)

{

psrc_set_voltage(TYPEC_PORT_0_IDX, VSAFE_5V); //force charge with 5V

vbus_fet_on(0);

vbus_discharge_off(0);

timer_start(0, CONNECT_TIMER, 30000, noTypeCConnectionTimerCallback); // this leads to CySoftwareReset();

}

void uscanAppEventHandler(uint8_t aPort, app_evt_t evt, const void* dat)

{

case APP_EVT_CONNECT:

if (gPwrOn)

{

if (deadBatteryTimer == 0) //get into this loop only once

{              

deadBatteryTimer= 1; // do not get into this loop again

timer_start(0, DEAD_BATTERY_TIMER, 10000, deadBatteryTimerCallback); // force charge, if DEAD_BATTERY_TIMER is not stopped in 10 secs (for bad tablets)

}

}

break;

case APP_EVT_PKT_RCVD:

timer_stop(0, DEAD_BATTERY_TIMER); //good tablet, no need to run deadBatteryTimerCallback

break;

case APP_EVT_PD_CONTRACT_NEGOTIATION_COMPLETE:

timer_stop(0, DEAD_BATTERY_TIMER);  //good tablet, no need to run deadBatteryTimerCallback

break;

}

Slightly different approach & want to check the feasibility:

Please find the attached PD analyzer log taken for charging a bad samsung (not chargeable through hub) tablet with a samsung charger. As i already said Samsung charger is always able to charge the bad tablets successfully.

The charger seems performing HARD RESET here. Could you guide me with an example to perform the same HARD RESET. I did not find this logic implemented in the examples CYPD3123-40LQXI_ctd_us & CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook using lower level API's pd_prot_send_hard_reset().

Would be happy with your quick reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Jai Shankar

0 Likes

Hi Jai,

If you are using CCG3 PD, the API you can use for Hard Reset is:

/**

* @brief Try to send a HardReset to the port partner.

* @param port PD port index.

* @param reason Reason for the hard reset.

* @return ccg_status_t

*/

ccg_status_t dpm_send_hard_reset(uint8_t port, uint8_t reason);

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

A response to the last response was sent via email to the community manager alias.  Re-posting here for continuity.

Hi LisaZ_26

We are using CYPD3125 Notebook solution version 3.0.2.905 as a reference, the following API is not available in my source.

ccg_status_t dpm_send_hard_reset(uint8_t port, uint8_t reason);

Should we use the following API ??

dpm_prot_reset(0, HARD_RESET);

Could you provide an example code snippet for hard resetting the port partner.

Regards

JaVu_4007791

0 Likes

Hi JaVu_4007791,

Strong recommend you use latest firmware of CYPD3125 notebook. The correct install link is:https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-host-software-development-kit 

For old SDK you are using, recommend you use:

dpm_pd_command ( 0, DPM_CMD_SEND_HARD_RESET, Null, Null);

Best Regards,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your suggestion to migrate to latest FW.

I have tried to port my project to the latest FW & i am having a error during linking. Looking for you help. Thanks.

Here is the error log:

--------------- Build Started: 01/07/2020 13:14:37 Project: UsbHub, Configuration: ARM GCC 5.4-2016-q2-update Debug ---------------

The code generation step is up to date.

The compile step is up to date, no work needs to be done.

arm-none-eabi-ar.exe -rs .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\UsbHub_1.a .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Bootloadable_1.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\PDSS_PORT0_RX_CLK.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\PDSS_PORT0_TX_CLK.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\PDSS_PORT0_SAR_CLK.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_I2C_INT.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_I2C.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_I2C_BOOT.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_I2C_MASTER.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_PM.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_BOOT.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\PDSS_PORT0_SWAP_CLK.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_SCBCLK.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_sda.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_sda_PM.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_scl.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_scl_PM.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\I2CM_SCB_IRQ.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\CyFlash.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\CyLib.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cyPm.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cyutils.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\CyLFClk.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cy_em_eeprom.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\CyBootAsmGnu.o

arm-none-eabi-ar.exe: creating .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\UsbHub_1.a

arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe -Wl,--start-group -o C:\Users\jaisankar.vurimi\Desktop\temp\PortHubProject\v4.2\Version_4_4_0_Ported_01\UsbHub\UsbHub.cydsn\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\UsbHub_1.elf .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\app.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\pdo.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\psink.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\psource.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\swap.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\vdm.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\uscan_usb.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\uscan_i2c.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\uscan_app.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\boot.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\flash.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\gpio.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\system.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\timer.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\utils.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\config.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\main.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\hal_ccgx.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\pdss_hal.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\usb.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cyfitter_cfg_1.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cybootloader.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cymetadata.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Cm0Start.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\UsbHub_1.a -mcpu=cortex-m0 -mthumb -l ccgx_hpi -l ccgx_pd3 -L Generated_Source\PSoC4 -L .\lib\ccg3 -Wl,-Map,.\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug/UsbHub_1.map -T .\cm0g_1.ld -specs=nano.specs -Wl,--gc-sections -flto -Os -g -ffunction-sections -finline-functions -Os -flto -ffat-lto-objects -Wl,--end-group

ERROR: No interrupt vector

0 Likes