Example connections for SWD and I2C to Miniprog?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Are there any examples how to design in connections for both SWD and I2C interfaces for MiniProgs?

Is it possible to use a single 5-pin connector with data and clock pins running to both I2C and SWD connections on the PSoC/CCG?

If a single 5-pin connector can be used, is some form of isolation (such as 3-pin 100 mil jumper header as a selector) required between SWD and I2C lines going to a PSoC/CCG device?

I'm currently interested in connections to a CCG2.

This question applies to all PSoC and PSoC based components.

MiniProg 3 appears to support both SWD and I2C using 5-pin interface

MiniProg 4 appears to only support I2C using 6x2 interface

The 5 and 10 pin connectors both support SWD on both MiniProgs

The 6x2 connector, only available on MiniProg4, does NOT support SWD

Table 3-2 in Section 3.2 of the CY8CKIT-002 MiniProg3 Kit Guide https://www.cypress.com/file/44091/download indicates I2C can only be connected to MiniProg3 via the 5-pin connector.

Table 3-1 in Section 3 of the CY8CKIT-005 MiniProg4 Kit Guide https://www.cypress.com/file/452836/download Indicates I2C can only be connected to MiniProg4 via the 6x2 connector.

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Greg,

It is not possible to use the I2C and SWD pins on the MiniProg simultaneously as it supports one protocol at a time. You could connect the SWD pins from the 10 pin connector while connecting the I2C pins from the 5-pin connector on MiniProg3. And on the MiniProg4, you could connect the I2C pins from the 12-pin connector while connecting the SWD pins from either the 5-pin or 10-pin connector.

Please let us know if you would like some other details or examples on the connections.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Greg,

It is not possible to use the I2C and SWD pins on the MiniProg simultaneously as it supports one protocol at a time. You could connect the SWD pins from the 10 pin connector while connecting the I2C pins from the 5-pin connector on MiniProg3. And on the MiniProg4, you could connect the I2C pins from the 12-pin connector while connecting the SWD pins from either the 5-pin or 10-pin connector.

Please let us know if you would like some other details or examples on the connections.

Best Regards,

Sananya