Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PaRi_1293246
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 25 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hello,

I'm currently learning how to use PSoC Creator.  I need to slightly modify the project that run on the EZ-PD CCG3 evaluation kit.  I have installed EZ-PD Host SDK 3.4 and I have open up the CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook workspace.

There is 3 projects in that workspace.  The first project is called "backup_fw", the second is called "CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook" and the third is called "noboot".  I would like to know what are the differences between those 3 projects.

Also in the binaries folder there is 2 cyacd files.  The first is called "CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook_one_3_3_1_2010_0_0_0_nb" and the second is called "CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook_two_3_3_1_2010_0_0_0_nb".  I would like to know what are the differences between those 2 binaries files.

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

1) backup_fw: This is a limited feature version of the notebook PD port controller application using the
CCG3 device. This is used as a secondary firmware binary which allows recovery in case the device firmware
gets corrupted during an upgrade process.

2) CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook: This is the main firmware project for the application. This application is
designed to work on top of the bootloader pre-programmed on the CCG3 device.

3) noboot: The main firmware project  does not support runtime debugging through the SWD interface. The noboot.cydsn is a version of the same firmware application, which does not depend on the bootloader. This firmware overwrites the complete device flash and expects that the device will be programmed through SWD. 

"Also in the binaries folder there is 2 cyacd files.  The first is called "CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook_one_3_3_1_2010_0_0_0_nb" and the second is called "CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook_two_3_3_1_2010_0_0_0_nb".  I would like to know what are the differences between those 2 binaries files."

There is no difference between the 2 firmware. CCG3’s internal device flash contains two copies of firmware that can mutually update each other. These copies are called FW1 and FW2, and are designed to be placed at different flash locations. If the CCG3 device is currently running FW1, only FW2 can be updated and vice-versa. 
For more details, please refer page number 23 from this link. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

1) backup_fw: This is a limited feature version of the notebook PD port controller application using the
CCG3 device. This is used as a secondary firmware binary which allows recovery in case the device firmware
gets corrupted during an upgrade process.

2) CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook: This is the main firmware project for the application. This application is
designed to work on top of the bootloader pre-programmed on the CCG3 device.

3) noboot: The main firmware project  does not support runtime debugging through the SWD interface. The noboot.cydsn is a version of the same firmware application, which does not depend on the bootloader. This firmware overwrites the complete device flash and expects that the device will be programmed through SWD. 

"Also in the binaries folder there is 2 cyacd files.  The first is called "CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook_one_3_3_1_2010_0_0_0_nb" and the second is called "CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook_two_3_3_1_2010_0_0_0_nb".  I would like to know what are the differences between those 2 binaries files."

There is no difference between the 2 firmware. CCG3’s internal device flash contains two copies of firmware that can mutually update each other. These copies are called FW1 and FW2, and are designed to be placed at different flash locations. If the CCG3 device is currently running FW1, only FW2 can be updated and vice-versa. 
For more details, please refer page number 23 from this link. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
PaRi_1293246
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Abhilash,

Why the size of the two .cyacd files are so different.  One is 88 KB and the other is 142 KB.

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Since one of it is actual firmware and other one is a backup firmware. 

The backup firmware has limited functionality than the actual firmware, hence 2 sizes.

Please do refer the same document which was shared in my previous response for more details. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
PaRi_1293246
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Abhilash,

If I understand well the actual firmware is the one with the larger file.  Can you confirm?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Yes, your understanding is correct. The size of the actual firmware is large compared to the backup firmware. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes