EZ-PD BCR D /D- lines usage

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LuPr_4402316
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I am currently evaluation the usage of the EZ-PD BCR chip usage in our system. I have noticed that it utilizes the D+/D- lines for old AC adapters recognition. In the project, I would still need to use the D+ and D- lines for communication with the main MCU. Such branch connection would create stubs on the PCB. Also, it is not mentioned either the chip releases the D+/D- lines once it is done with recognition.

Using the EZ-PD BCR chip, is it possible to still utilize the D+/D- lines for communication?

I would appreciate all help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

1. It is not possible to utilize the D+/D- lines for communication on BCR. If you need customize firmware, recommend you use CYPD3171 from CCG3PA.

2. You could adapt the way mentioned on above post.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
SaBh_294166
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

We have a similar design in motion - suggest that you apply a USB 2.0 HS compatible USB MUX. Steer the MUX as desired and yet maintain signal integrity.

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

1. It is not possible to utilize the D+/D- lines for communication on BCR. If you need customize firmware, recommend you use CYPD3171 from CCG3PA.

2. You could adapt the way mentioned on above post.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Thanks for answers,
USB mux seems like the way to go. The question is:

Lets say we start of at power connection with usb mux routrouting to the ez-pd. After he has negotiated the power delivery, i would like to route the signals using the mux to the mcu. Will the ez-pd not mind that he doesnt have access to the dp and dn lines anymore after negotiation is done?

0 Likes

Hi ,

The CCGx is not mind if it is identified as PD. If it is identified as BC1.2, QC, AFC, or others protocol need negotiation with D+/D-, the USB MUX shall not remove to the specified MCU.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Thanks for answer Lisa,

Do Inunderstand correctly that this makes this chip unusable in companion with an actual ISB device MCU? Since the DP/DN lines cannot be released if USB host is connected?

0 Likes

Hi ,

If your target is for USB device emulate and Charging protocol support, CCG3 will be better chip. CCG3PA device is only for Charging protocol, there are not any USB phy inside it for USB2.0 data transmit/receiver.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes