DRP PD controller (Support PD3.1 protocol)

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Peiwu
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi Infineon team:

I am designing a DRP application, which can be used as a power provider or a power consumer.

as shown below.

Peiwu_0-1672886460025.png

The requirement is to support PD3.1 and extended power range (EPR).

It can be seen from the official website that PMG1-S3 meets the requirements. But it is out of stock. Is this chip in commercial use?

Are there any other chips that can be used instead?

Apple's 140W charger uses CYPD3135, but the datasheets of CYPD3135 only support PD3.0. Is it a customized update? So we should not be able to use it?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @Peiwu ,

1. PMG1-S3 serial is commercial device, the product status is "active and preferred " for all these 4 chips. It is recommended that you contact your local Infineon supplier or distributor for actual market information.

You can obtain Infineon Distribution Partners list by access Where to Buy 

Neo_Qin_0-1672895633691.png

2.  EZ-PD™ CCG3PA PD Controller is a potential alternative, it supports USB PD Revision 3.1 including programmable power supply (PPS) mode.

According to your DRP application, CYPD3171-24LQXQ is recommend. Illustrates the URL below:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus-usb-power-delivery-controller/usb-c-and...

The reference board REF_XDPS2221_140W1 was developed for 140 W USB-PD applications. It features the industry’s first PFC + hybrid flyback combo controller XDP2221 as AC-DC stage, EZ-PD™ CCG3PA was implemented for PD control. Illustrates the URL below for your reference:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/ref_xdps2221_140w1/

3. Theoretically, all PD controllers from Infineon can support USB PD3.1,  but it requires the support of the corresponding firmware. As far as I know, Apple's solution has a dedicated version firmware, which has not been released to other customers.

Regards,

Neo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Neo_Qin

Hi @Peiwu ,

1. PMG1-S3 serial is commercial device, the product status is "active and preferred " for all these 4 chips. It is recommended that you contact your local Infineon supplier or distributor for actual market information.

You can obtain Infineon Distribution Partners list by access Where to Buy 

Neo_Qin_0-1672895633691.png

2.  EZ-PD™ CCG3PA PD Controller is a potential alternative, it supports USB PD Revision 3.1 including programmable power supply (PPS) mode.

According to your DRP application, CYPD3171-24LQXQ is recommend. Illustrates the URL below:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus-usb-power-delivery-controller/usb-c-and...

The reference board REF_XDPS2221_140W1 was developed for 140 W USB-PD applications. It features the industry’s first PFC + hybrid flyback combo controller XDP2221 as AC-DC stage, EZ-PD™ CCG3PA was implemented for PD control. Illustrates the URL below for your reference:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/ref_xdps2221_140w1/

3. Theoretically, all PD controllers from Infineon can support USB PD3.1,  but it requires the support of the corresponding firmware. As far as I know, Apple's solution has a dedicated version firmware, which has not been released to other customers.

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes
Peiwu
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Neo:

In my application, I want to configure the PD controller's Power Role (DFP only, UFP only or DRP) through the I2C BUS, and modify its source PDOs or Sink PDOs, instead of updating its FW. Make it more flexible to apply to different functional requirements.

I wonder if CYPD3171 supports this function?

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @Peiwu 

Of course, you can switch the CYPD3171 between different roles through the I2C interface, the only question is that Infineon does not provide such firmware, you need to make your own efforts.

Here are some publicly information from Infineon for your reference:

CY4532 EZ-PD™ CCG3PA Evaluation Kit 

EZ-PD™ CCGx Power Software Development Kit 

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes
Peiwu
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Neo_Qin :

Thank you very much for your answer. I'll study it first.

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @Peiwu ,

Thank you very much for making use of Infineon community support, we will be glad to work with you in the future as well.

Neo

0 Likes
Peiwu
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Neo_Qin ,

One more question, Does CYPD3171 support Alternate Mode?

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @Peiwu ,

CCG3PA doesn't support the Alternate Mode, it's just a power controller. The product line related to Host/Dock applications is: EZ-PD™ CCG4/EZ-PD™ CCG5/EZ-PD™ CCG6, and the upcoming EZ-PD™CCG8.

Please refer to the Infineon portal for more information:

USB-C and Power Delivery 

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes