Cystom application for CYPD3171 works when powered from debugger but will not boot when powered from external source

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
phock
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 25 sign-ins 5 questions asked

When using the CY4532 EVK, I can flash the bootloader onto the CYPD3171 via SWD using the PSOC programmer utility. When I do this, and switch the jumpers etc, I can open the Configurator utility and flash the default demo firmware onto the device successfully, and this firmware works. However, when I use PSOC creator to flash the CYPD3171 example project (cla, not pb) onto the device via SWD, the firmware works when powered by the debugger, but it does not work when it is powered from the 12V DC wall wart. Also, the configurator utility (with the jumpers etc set correctly) cannot establish a PD contract with the CYPD3171 after flashing with PSOC creator. I'm assuming the Cypress bootloader on the CYPD3171 is nuked when I program it from PSOC creator. How can I configure PSOC creator to NOT nuke the cypress bootloader, and just write the main application to flash? Is it possible the issue isn't related to the bootloader? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

A. It is the PA firmware

B. PSOC programmer won't take a .cyacd file, only .hex. When I program the .cyacd file from PSOC creater using the configurator utility, the flashing seems to work but then the configurator cannot establish a PD contract after flashing.

C. Using PSOC programmer to flash the .hex file works, but when I switch the jumpers and use the PD configurator, it cannot establish a PD contract.

I can't find any way to flash the example PSOC creator project that works. The EVK firmware .cyacd does work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Kieran_Pan
250 sign-ins 10 likes received First question asked

Hello,

Doulde check the jumper is right.

A. Make sure wheter your FW is PA FW(You could find this in section 4.1 of CY4532 user manual):

B. You could use PSoC programmer program the cyacd file of the PSoC creator, and check whether it will work.

C. You could also use PSoC programmer program the .hex file of the PSoC creator through swd

If it works, PSoC creator has no problem.

Best regards,
Kieran

0 Likes

A. It is the PA firmware

B. PSOC programmer won't take a .cyacd file, only .hex. When I program the .cyacd file from PSOC creater using the configurator utility, the flashing seems to work but then the configurator cannot establish a PD contract after flashing.

C. Using PSOC programmer to flash the .hex file works, but when I switch the jumpers and use the PD configurator, it cannot establish a PD contract.

I can't find any way to flash the example PSOC creator project that works. The EVK firmware .cyacd does work.

0 Likes
phock
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 25 sign-ins 5 questions asked

I started a new example project (mine was modified) and actually it DOES establish a PD contract, so something about the modifications I made to my project caused it not to boot. I'll track that down and update once I figure out what caused it.

0 Likes
Kieran_Pan
250 sign-ins 10 likes received First question asked

Good news! If you have any other problems, feel free to let us know.

0 Likes