Create Source Profiles for CY4531 CCG3 Kit

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have powered the CY4531 kit with the DC Power Adapter and using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility software, I am trying to set up the source profiles. I was easily able to set up the different sink profiles when the Type-C Power Adapter was connected. Unfortunately whatever source profile I set up, when I measure at the Input Power Headers (J12), I read 24V. How can I set up the source profile so that I can output say 5V at the input header?

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Bilal,

You can read 'USB_P_PWR' on a test point brought out near the SS_USB Type - B receptacle J2.

The sink voltage can be read on 'USB_C_PWR' test point which is right beside the 5-20V output header J7.

Refer the EVK guide: http://www.cypress.com/file/230181/download

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

9 Replies
EunchongP_51
Employee
Employee
First like received

Hi Bilalm,

The J12 is directly connected with input of DC Power adapter. So, the voltage always 24V if you are using DC power adapter.

If you want to read your source profile, you will read the USB_P_PWR.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Saul,

How can I read USB_P_PWR? Is there any way that I can measure it with a DMM?

Thanks,

Bilal

0 Likes
RajathB_01

Hi Bilal,

You can read 'USB_P_PWR' on a test point brought out near the SS_USB Type - B receptacle J2.

The sink voltage can be read on 'USB_C_PWR' test point which is right beside the 5-20V output header J7.

Refer the EVK guide: http://www.cypress.com/file/230181/download

Regards,

Rajath

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rajath,

I am now reading 'USB_P_PWR' through the test point but what ever source profile I set through the configuration utility software, I can only read 5V. Please inform me on how I can read a different voltage such as 15V.

Regards,

Bilal

0 Likes
RajathB_01

Hello Bilal,

For USB_P_PWR to show the PDO voltage, that PDO should have been accepted by the sink after a successful PD contract and source should start supplying that voltage. You need to check if a successful PD contract has been established with the sink, by using the protocol analyzer (CY4500 CC sniffer).

Regards,

Rajath

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rajath,

Thank you, that makes sense.

It there a way that I can confirm the source/sink 'current' without having to use the protocol analyzer?

Best Regards,

Bilal

0 Likes
RajathB_01

Hi Bilal,

What are you using to sink power?

You can use a pre-configured sink (probably another working EVK or a known working device) to draw power from your source and then measure the voltage/current. This will only tell you whether the contract was successful and what voltage is being sourced, but it'll not be possible to debug further without reading the PD traffic.

Another way is if you can interface an external controller, it can be used to communicate with the PD controller and get information about this.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Rajash,

Now I am using a Type-C power adapter as the power source and the EVK as the power sink. So basically I wanted to somehow measure the sink current that was set through the configuration utility software and observe the accuracy. I don't have access to a Protocol Analyzer so I was wondering if there is another way to do it?

Thanks,

Bilal

0 Likes
RajathB_01

Bilal,

You can connect the adapter to your EVK and measure the negotiated sink voltage on 'USB_C_PWR'.

The current mentioned in the sink PDO will be the maximum current that will be drawn. Any higher current drawn will trigger OCP (over current protection). You have access to this negotiated power on 5-20V output header, J7. You can connect a load of your choice on J7 and verify the current drawn with an ammeter.

Please make sure you have over voltage and over current protection enabled during configuration when drawing power from J7.

Best regards,

Rajath