Confusion regarding CYPD3135 and Apple 140W Charger

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
hasechris92
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hello folks,

i recently watched this video [1] where one of the new 140W Type C USB Chargers from Apple is getting his teardown. I also have this power adapter at home and i can "confirm" it does 28V at 5 Amps.

Then i searched for the Type C Controller, which is CYPD3135. Now im confused because the CYPD3135 does not do USBC EPR negotiation according to the product page and the product datasheet.

Can someone help me?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKs9Sf84UTE&t=1s

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

In this design the CCG3 stack has been modified to support EPR. But it has to be done in such a way that the hardware design of CCG3 has to be modified so that it doesnt see 28V.

For newer EPR designs please refer PMG1-S3. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Thank you for posting on the Infineon community. 

Currently the only USB C controller from Infineon that supports EPR mode is PMG1. 

The CCG3 used in the apple charger as shown, is having a custom firmware based on their application. Let me get back to you with detailed analysis. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

In this design the CCG3 stack has been modified to support EPR. But it has to be done in such a way that the hardware design of CCG3 has to be modified so that it doesnt see 28V.

For newer EPR designs please refer PMG1-S3. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes