Confused about Provider and Consumer FET roles

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SaBh_294166
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi. Somewhat confused about the consumer & provider FET switches and their roles as applied in the Cypress PB ref designs.

Reference:

EZ-PD Type-C USB

and

CY4532 EVK

1) On both the following blog design webpage & CY4532 EVK, the Southchip SC8802 buck-boost is used. This regulator is bidirectional where DIR decides the direction of the current flow.

EZ-PD Type-C USB

Based on this understanding, why is there a mosfet load switch for CONSUMER and yet another mosfet load switch for PROVIDER? Since even the other side of these switches mate with the common USB_TYPEC_VBUS pin.

2) Also, in tracing the CY4532 EVK schematic, it appears that the CONSUMER & PROVIDER switches are shorted via R20 = 0 ohms (CY4532 Power Board).

Perhaps the idea of a CONSUMER load switch & PROVIDER load switch are for other types of buck-boost regulators but cannot see the value if using SC8802 or similar. To clarify our understanding, the separate load switches are necessary if the destination pins are separate from each other? (ie. separate pin for the BATTERY_CHARGE and separate for the VADP?)

In our specific case, we have a bidirectional buck-boost that is I2C driven - so at most, we require a single mosfet load switch for our DRP PD3.0 design?

0 Likes
1 Solution
SaBh_294166
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

I think we can close this question as the answer appears to be posted here:

Re: Question for P_CTRL_FET in CCG3PA

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
SaBh_294166