Charge through power bank with CCG3PA

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joa_4818671
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Could the CCG3PA support an application where it acts as a power bank that supports through charging.

The CCG3PA would handle the device side port (DRP), and a CCG2 would handle a second dedicated charge port. The CCG3PA port will not need to charge the battery.

The CCG3PA would have to manage the amount of charging current diverted to the power bank battery depending on the selected PDO from the connected device, and the maximum power available from the CCG2.

The ccg3pa would need to quarry the ccg2 for selected source PDO and manage a battery charger via I2C, possibly a gpio extender as well.

Do you think the CCG3PA could fill this capability?

I see the CCG3 could fit the bill, but because of the simple functionality and current supply chain issues the ccg3pa is attractive.

Cheers

Jonas

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Jonas,

1. For Power only, CCG2 CYPD2122 could be used. Since CYPD2122 could be configured/customized as Dual Role Power. Meanwhile, CCG2 is support PD2.0 only. 

Please kindly notice that the capabilities of CCGx controller will need many firmware efforts on system design to achieve the goal, since CYPD2122 just have example code of notebook.  

The SDK of CCG2 supporting is: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-sdk-v302-ccg2-all-applications-ccg3... 

2) If you are using CYPD31xx and target as CCG3 device, the difference of part number is below:

ShifangZ_26_0-1627482469986.png

Please kindly notice that CYPD317x is not belongs to CCG3, it is belongs to CCG3PA. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
ShifangZ_26

Hello Jonas,

Your understanding is correct that CCG3PA CYPD3171 could handle Dual Role Power capabilities. But the key point of Charge Through Dongle is FRS supporting. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Thanks Lisa for the info

luckily because the device will have a battery in it, FRS is not mandatory

I see I have also gotten my part numbers mixed up, and the only ccg3pa available is the car charger

couple more side questions:

1) could two ccg2 be used in this application? (specifically the CYPD2122)

2) If using the the cypd31XX what is the difference between the 21, 23, 26

the 26 being the only one that seems to have stock around

Cheers

Jonas

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Jonas,

1. For Power only, CCG2 CYPD2122 could be used. Since CYPD2122 could be configured/customized as Dual Role Power. Meanwhile, CCG2 is support PD2.0 only. 

Please kindly notice that the capabilities of CCGx controller will need many firmware efforts on system design to achieve the goal, since CYPD2122 just have example code of notebook.  

The SDK of CCG2 supporting is: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-sdk-v302-ccg2-all-applications-ccg3... 

2) If you are using CYPD31xx and target as CCG3 device, the difference of part number is below:

ShifangZ_26_0-1627482469986.png

Please kindly notice that CYPD317x is not belongs to CCG3, it is belongs to CCG3PA. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa

Thanks for the heads up on the ccg2, I will look into that, but it sounds like the ccg3-ccg3pa path is simpler. (favorable)

I saw that table in the data sheet, I am curios what is different internally, for ex. the 3126 (as just DRP) and the 3123 (as charge through dongle) 

Yes, I would much prefer to use the 3171 you mention above, but because of my timeline I cannot wait for stock. it seams the only ccg3 I can find is the 3126

Thanks for the help

Jonas

0 Likes