Cannot use unconfigured SCB in CCGx project

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KietPham
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello all,

I'm struggling with PSoC Creator 4.4, the problem is when using unconfigured SCB block in Cypress PD project, I cannot build the project even though I has setup the  1 MHz clock for the unconfigured SCB block. When it failes to build, it raise this error "Unable to find a valid placement for pins and fixed-function blocks. See the Digital Placement's Detailed placement messages section in the report file for details”. It seems like the terminal in unconfigured SCB block does not connect to the right pin in Pin map (although I'm letting auto-assign)

Can you please help me point what did I do wrong? This issue happen to all Cypress PD projects (CCG3 -> CCG5), but not observed in PSoC 4 MCU.

Thanks,

Kiet

0 Likes
1 Solution
PhumeleleSJose
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First reply posted First question asked

Before starting operation in Unconfigured mode, determine which communication interfaces will
be used (more than one communication interface can be used in one SCB). Next, use the SCB
parameters tab to select pins required to implement the chosen communication interfaces.
The communication interface name is listed first, followed by the pin name related to the specific
interface. For example, UART RX / I2C SCL / SPI MOSI means this pin functions as MOSI when
the SCB is configured to utilize the SPI interface; it functions as SCL for the I2C interface; and as
RX for the UART interface.
Next, a clock Component must be connected to the SCB clock input. This clock frequency along
with the SCB oversampling configuration (set in the interface-specific Init API function)
determines the operation speed of the communications interface. The clock frequency will be
configured later in the firmware by setting a clock divider, using the clock's API. The possible
choice of clock configuration is: source HFCLK with divider 1.
To use the UART and I2C interfaces, select the following pins on the SCB tab:
▪ UART RX / I2C SCL / SPI MOSI pin
▪ UART TX / I2C SDA / SPI MISO pin
To use the SPI interface, select the following pins on the SCB tab:
▪ SPI SCLK
▪ Any combination of SPI omegle SS0 – SPI SS3

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please refer the following link for SCB related PSOC creator code examples,

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/software/code-examples/psoc-4-code-examples-for-psoc-...

Let me know if your issue was solved by referring the link. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Dear Abhilash_P,

Thanks for your help, but I found out that PSoC Creator code example does not contain CCGx MCU example (those chip begin with CYPDxxx). That's why I could not verify whether unconfigured SCB works on CCGx project. And just like I said, all PSoC 4 MCU works well with unconfigured SCB, but not CCGx.

Regards,

Kiet

0 Likes
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Yes, please do configure it and use it in creator. let me know your observations. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi Abhilash_P,

Like I said, I added unconfigured SCB block in CCG5 device, add 1 MHz clock and it gives me error Unable to find a valid placement for pins and fixed-function blocks. See the Digital Placement's Detailed placement messages section in the report file for details” after I built the project.

Thanks,

Kiet

0 Likes
OlEr_1999891
Level 5
Level 5
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Keep in mind that the CCGx hardware and binary firmware is much more limited than regular PSoC MCUs so you need to be very specific in what you add. If you can't find an existing CCGx project in the EZ-PD SDK that is using the function you need you can be rather sure that it is not supported.  The PSoC Creator is not fully synced to these limitations.

Cheers

Olof

PhumeleleSJose
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First reply posted First question asked

Before starting operation in Unconfigured mode, determine which communication interfaces will
be used (more than one communication interface can be used in one SCB). Next, use the SCB
parameters tab to select pins required to implement the chosen communication interfaces.
The communication interface name is listed first, followed by the pin name related to the specific
interface. For example, UART RX / I2C SCL / SPI MOSI means this pin functions as MOSI when
the SCB is configured to utilize the SPI interface; it functions as SCL for the I2C interface; and as
RX for the UART interface.
Next, a clock Component must be connected to the SCB clock input. This clock frequency along
with the SCB oversampling configuration (set in the interface-specific Init API function)
determines the operation speed of the communications interface. The clock frequency will be
configured later in the firmware by setting a clock divider, using the clock's API. The possible
choice of clock configuration is: source HFCLK with divider 1.
To use the UART and I2C interfaces, select the following pins on the SCB tab:
To use the SPI interface, select the following pins on the SCB tab:
▪ SPI SCLK
▪ Any combination of SPI omegle SS0 – SPI SS3

0 Likes

Hi PhumeleleSJose,

I do exactly like you said, but when I build the project it still raise issue: Unable to find a valid placement for pins and fixed-function blocks. See the Digital Placement's Detailed placement messages section in the report file for details.

Regards,

0 Likes