Can the CY4502 charge the Samsung Galaxy S20 ?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SeKw_4837866
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a newbie for the cypress EZ-PD and have the CY4502 EVM board to simulate and verify the design concept.

My question is how to simulate the power delivery for Samsung Galaxy S20.  I follows the "CCG2 Single-Chip EMCA Application" from the "EZ-PD™ CCG2 Development Kit Guide".  To emulate the host side - DFP, I built a small circuitry which has a USB C breakout board and the pin D+/D- are soldered to USB type A cable. The other side - UFP is connected to Samsung galaxy S20 USB C port.  The CC1 and CC2 on the DFP side are hooked up to pullup resistor 10Kohm. The LED1 is ON and the VCONN on the J9, pin 10 is connected to VBUS.

Then, the VBUS on the USB C breakout is connected to a lab power supply which is set to 5v as follows.

VBUS -------------------->   USB C

D+/D- <--------------------->  breakout     <----------->  CY4520  <------> Samsung Galaxy S20

10K PU(CC1/CC2)  <--->  board

The issue I encounter is that the phone doesn't draw more than 500mA on the VBUS, which is same power draws without CY4520.

Do I have a mistake to configure it or is the CY4502 not compatible with the phone ?

Thanks you suggestion in advance.

SK.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi SK,

When connected to the laptop, could you please provide the PD logs using an analyzer? Please verify if the jumper settings are as mentioned in the DVK Guide for single chip EMCA application and CCG2 is powered i.e. LED1 is on.

By the comment, I meant it could be possible that the Samsung S20 is not seeing valid CC terminations when connected to the breakout board and entering into an implicit Type-C contract that would allow 3A current to be drawn.

Yes, the CY4502 should be compatible since it only acts an EMCA cable and the actual PD contract is between the DFP i.e. HP Probook PC and the Samsung S20. Could you please let us know if you have checked TP1?

The CCG3PA on CY4532 EVK would act as a charger and could be connected to your phone with any cable. So, the CY4532 would act as a DFP source instead of the breakout board/ laptop and not a EMCA cable that the CY4502 EVK is used for.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies