Can CYPD3120-40LQXI operates as a Sink adapter?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kms
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins First solution authored 10 replies posted

Hi This is Minseon From Korea.

As you can see the title, I wanna get a source code for CYPD3120-40LQXI operates as a Sink adapter.

Can I get a source code in this community?

I guess it would be work to change to hpd pin's direction, but it don't work.

So, I wanna find a core source or key of the role swapping.

Maybe hpd_receive_init related to this problem?

The person who know about this problem, comment me anything.

Thank you very much.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello Minseon,

CYPD3120's firmware is supporting by CCGx SDK3.0.1, you could install the SDK and customize firmware for your project directly. By default, CYPD3120 example code demonstrate Power Sink and DisplayPort Sink. Which is meaning of HPD signal on CYPD3120 is input by default. And this is following DisplayPort Alternate Mode Over Type-C specification.  

Download link: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/tools/tools-archive/usb-ez-pd-host-sdk-archives/ 

If you would like to change DisplayPort Role, there are one page knowledge for DisplayPort Role change from Source to SINK. Sink to Source is similar process. https://community.infineon.com/t5/Resource-Library/CONFIG-CCGx-FIRMWARE-FOR-DISPLAYPORT-SOURCE-AND-S... 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
ShifangZ_26

Hello Minseon,

CYPD3120's firmware is supporting by CCGx SDK3.0.1, you could install the SDK and customize firmware for your project directly. By default, CYPD3120 example code demonstrate Power Sink and DisplayPort Sink. Which is meaning of HPD signal on CYPD3120 is input by default. And this is following DisplayPort Alternate Mode Over Type-C specification.  

Download link: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/tools/tools-archive/usb-ez-pd-host-sdk-archives/ 

If you would like to change DisplayPort Role, there are one page knowledge for DisplayPort Role change from Source to SINK. Sink to Source is similar process. https://community.infineon.com/t5/Resource-Library/CONFIG-CCGx-FIRMWARE-FOR-DISPLAYPORT-SOURCE-AND-S... 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi ShifangZ-26.

I'm writing again because I think what I said was misrepresented.

Does it mean that the Sink adapter that works in Display Altmode can be implemented as the example you mentioned?

I need a source code that works in Display Altmode 1.x.

I will try it with the power adapter source that you told me.

If you don't understand the story, please reply.

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Minseon,

Typically, Type-C Port separate Power and Data Role, since Type-C port could work as Power Source or Sink on Power Role, and DFP or UFP on data (USB as example), Based on Video stream orientation, DisplayPort Source could be DFP_D/U, DisplayPort Sink could be UFP_D/U. 

You are absolutely getting firmware project of CYPD3120, and the example project is based on hardware of the link. Block diagram is below for your reference.  https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/vd_usb_ccg3_displayport/?utm_source=cypres... 

ShifangZ_26_0-1669972052381.png

If you have any concerns, feel free to let us know. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa

I already set the hardware like a following block diagram.

kms_0-1670199584958.png

However, I would like to ask if this hardware configuration and software configuration can also function with the sink device.
For example, a sink device is a TV and a monitor.

I thought it was not working because of the source firmware.

I read the contents following on the link page you gave me.

kms_1-1670200201519.png

Is it right to erase all sources related to DFP and leave only UFP?
If you follow the content,

there are many functions that do not work, and it is questionable whether they function properly.

I use pSoC creator 3.3.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you so much.

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Minseon,

Could you please let me know details specifications over Type-C of your design?

1)Power: Source or Sink? 

List Source PDOs or Sink PDOs if assured above power role.

2)Data:DisplayPort Source or Sink?

List DisplayPort Pin assignment if confirmed above data role.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi, Lisa 

In addition, I ask you somthing Monitor USB-Type-C configurations.

If monitor(sink, Rx) has Role of USB Type C Data, can work Display alt mode scenario 5B? 
Our Sink monitor is USB Type C data mode.

Thanks to your support and everything.

From Minseon 

0 Likes
kms
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins First solution authored 10 replies posted

Hi Lisa,

Thanks to your support.

1) This figure show that a concepts what we want to do. 

kms_0-1670303666743.png

Also, We refer to DisplayPort altmode 2.0(or low) standard scenario 5B.

kms_1-1670304032302.png

Thank you so much. 

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Minseon,

As per DisplayPort Alternate mode over Type-C, C to DP cable/dongle (Same hardware as C to DP dongle you refer to) is bi-directional and pin assignment E only. And you could get firmware binaries from local FAE directly which is covering Type-C to DP and DP to Type-C. 

If you need separate solution, please refer CCG6SF for DP to C and CCG3 CYPD3120 for C to DP. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Minseon,

CCG3 is bi-directional and pin assignment E for UFP_D and DFP_U. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi lisa.

kms_0-1670908926257.png

I understand what you means its 'Role' UFP is UFP_D 

Is CCG6SF work on UFP_U/DFP_D?

could you have an other example circuits of firmware?

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Minseon,

1. The CCG3 datasheet is default firmware implementations. CCG3 C to DP cable/adapter have implemented indirections for Data Role, Both UFP and DFP. 

2. The firmware of CCG3 indirections could be got it from local Infineon FAE or Distributor directly. 

3.  For DP Alternate mode support, DP2.1 is under development. 

4. It seems you are looking for bidirectional C to DP design, CCG3 C to DP or CCG2 C to DP could be referred to. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hello, Lisa.

Thanks to your support,

3. I am looking for the DP to C firmware code for CCG3 CYPD3120-40LQXI. However, as far as I know, the role cannot be changed in CYPD3120-40LQXI Dp dongle design. 

We did the following experiment.

DP Source Desktop - Electrical DP Cable - DP receptacle to C Plug Adapters (e.g. Design dp Dongle Project Source Code) - USB Type C alt Mode receptacle monitor

And the monitor cannot detect the signal. 

Can I get binary firmware for CCG3 DP receptacle on C plug adapter(C receptacle) from local FAE? I don't buy through local FAE or distributor. If you give me your FAE email address or contact number, I will talk to her/him.

Thank you.

Minseon

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello Minseon,

Infineon Distributor could be found from the link. You could get contact E-mail after selecting your location. 

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/where-to-buy/

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes