Can CY4532 EVK charge at QC mode on the USB type C port

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PhienNguyen
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi,

I tested CY4532 EVK , i can quick charge my Samsung S8 on USB type A port, but can't quick charge on USB type C. 

I checked configuration by EZ-PD Configuration Ultility tool and saw that it enabled.

PhienNguyen_0-1629973008011.png

Please give me some advice to enable quick charge on type C port.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

You can find the firmware for CYPD3174 in the CCGX Power sdk. Please use the following link for downloading the sdk related files. After downloading, the code example (hex file) would be present in the PSOC creator.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-ccgx-power-software-development-kit

Regards,

Abhilash P 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Please program the EVK with the latest firmware available on the website.

The USB Type-C port has the over-current protection (OCP) feature implemented in the system. If the charging current exceeds the negotiated contract current by more than 30%, CCG3PA will treat this as a fault and stop charging on the USB Type-C port. So please try measuring the current on the type c port. 

If it is possible can you please share the CC logs between the EVK and the smartphone.

I went through the Samsung's website and I could see that S8 can support till QC 2.0 . Can you please reconfirm this?

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi,

Yes, Samsung S8 is support QC2.0.

The kit guide said that both type C port and type A port can support QC as below

PhienNguyen_0-1630053197004.png

When I plug in the USB type A, it charged at QC2.0 (Vbus = 9V), but at the type C port it didn't (Vbus = 5V).

Do you know which mode that CY4532 applied to phone? And how to configure USB type C can support  QC, BC1.2, Apple charging, ... as USB type A port + PD mode.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

The chip can be programmed using EZ-PD Config utility as shown by you. 

Please try disabling other protocols and enable only QC2.0 protocol in config utility and try testing it.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
PhienNguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to disable PD mode in type C port  but couldn't, below message was shown

PhienNguyen_1-1630599680188.png

I changed maximum current in source PD0 and charge current change follow it (when max current  = 3A, charge current to S8 is 2.2A, when max current = 1A, charge current to S8 is 1A)

PhienNguyen_2-1630599702357.png

From that i guess the type C port only support charging follow one of PD source parameters and cannot support other mode like QC, is that right?

Thank you,

Phien Nguyen

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

What i meant is to disable other legacy charging protocols and try enabling only QC 2.0. Please do not disable PDOs.

"From that i guess the type C port only support charging follow one of PD source parameters and cannot support other mode like QC, is that right?"

No, it will support other protocols as well. This is determined during the contract negotiation.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
PhienNguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I changed all parameters before but i could not charge at QC mode.

PhienNguyen_0-1630678177662.png

Can you share me .xml file to configure?

And in the project, we use CYPD3174 + ACT4751 but measure current circuit at type A port will connect to other MCU instead of CYPD3174.

Q1: Can you send me source code for CYPD3174 of ACT4751-101-REF03 design?

Q2: Can you guide me where is the function read current and detect phone connected at type A port, i only found disconnected function type_a_detect_disconnect()?

Thank you,

Phien Nguyen

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Q1: Can you send me source code for CYPD3174 of ACT4751-101-REF03 design?

For getting a source code, please create a case in mycase system or contact local sales office. It cannot be shared here. Thank you for understanding.

Q2: Can you guide me where is the function read current and detect phone connected at type A port, i only found disconnected function type_a_detect_disconnect()?

Please look into type_a.c under app to know more about the status of the type A port. gl_type_a_status is to be used.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
PhienNguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your answers. I use CYPD3174  on our design. Can I use source of CYPD3171 (chip on the kit) build for 3174.

Thank you,

Phien Nguyen

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

You can find the firmware for CYPD3174 in the CCGX Power sdk. Please use the following link for downloading the sdk related files. After downloading, the code example (hex file) would be present in the PSOC creator.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-ccgx-power-software-development-kit

Regards,

Abhilash P 

0 Likes