CYUSB4347 PD Controller not updating with composite image

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Razor6412
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First solution authored First reply posted

I am trying to program and configure the CYUSB4347 for 5V only operation.  When I update the FW with a composite image that has the PD Configuration that I need, the PD Controller is not being updated. Here is the output of the Get Status:

==============================CURRENT HX3PD STATUS==============================
Last FW update status : Failed (0x4)
Device count : 3
Composite dock image version : 1.3.0.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device#0
Device type : DMC
Component ID : 0
Current image : Image-1
Bootloader Version
Base Version : 3.3.0.1732
Application Version : dm.1.0.229
Image-0 Status : VALID (0x1)
Base Version : 3.3.1.2010
Application Version : dm.1.0.114
Image-1 Status : VALID (0x1)
Base Version : 3.3.1.2010
Application Version : dm.1.0.114
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device#1
Device type : HX3PD PD Controller
Component ID : 1
Current image : Bootloader
Bootloader Version
Base Version : 3.3.0.1707
Application Version : md.1.0.219
Image-0 Status : UNKNOWN (0x0)
Base Version : 3.3.0.1883
Application Version : md.1.1.17
Image-1 Status : UNKNOWN (0x0)
Base Version : 3.3.0.1883
Application Version : md.1.1.17
Device#2
Device type : HX3PD Hub Controller
Component ID : 2
Current image : Image-0
Image-0 Status : VALID (0x1)
Version : 3058
Image-1 Status : VALID (0x1)
Version : 3058

How can I get the PD Controller to update properly?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Razor6412
Level 1
Level 1

I figured out what the problem was. I have the I2C lines I2C_SDA_EC and I2C_SCL_EC were connected to the proper pins, but they were missing the pullup resistors.  Apparently this I2C connection is used by the DMC Core to communicate with the PD Core, and without this link the PD configuration cannot be read or set via the USB port. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Could you please let us know if you're able to update the default composite image for the PD controller as well? If yes, then please check the PD controller configuration and if it was saved properly in the HX3PD Configuration Utility. 

Please also provide a snippet of your schematics showing the HX3PD connections if it isnt confidential.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes
Razor6412
Level 1
Level 1

I sent more information about the problem and schematics by email.

0 Likes
Razor6412
Level 1
Level 1

I figured out what the problem was. I have the I2C lines I2C_SDA_EC and I2C_SCL_EC were connected to the proper pins, but they were missing the pullup resistors.  Apparently this I2C connection is used by the DMC Core to communicate with the PD Core, and without this link the PD configuration cannot be read or set via the USB port. 

0 Likes