Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

USB EZ-PD™ Type-C Forum Discussions

widget
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked
Level 1

Hey all,

I'm very new to the CYPD line of USB controllers, and am trying to get a good understanding of the i2c bootloader support mentioned in the CCGx product guide (found here ).  The guide mentions that the CCGx devices come shipped with an i2c bootloader already programmed into them.  Does that that mean the bootloader is written somewhere persistent like a ROM block, or does it mean that the default image flashed to the device contains a bootloader (which will be overwritten when I flash my CYPD6125 for the first time with my own application code)?

My goal is for the host chip on my system to be able to update my CYPD6125 via I2C, ideally with the same dual image system that is used on the CY4541 CCG4 Kit:

• Dual Image Support
  • Jumps to latest application image if valid, or older application if newer image appears corrupted

If there is already a bootloader on a CYPD6125 fresh from the factory, would it contain support for those functions?  Or would I need to instead reference the CY4541 SDK source and use its bootloader code as an example for what to implement in my project?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
PranavaYN
Moderator 50 likes received First comment on KBA First question asked

Hi,

The default image flashed in to the device contain an I2C bootloader. You can find the source code for the same I2C bootloader in the following path after installing CCGx Host SDK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD6125-40LQXI_notebook\CYPD6125-40LQXI_notebook.cydsn\i2c_boot.cydsn

If there is already a bootloader on a CYPD6125 fresh from the factory, would it contain support for those functions? 

>> Yes, support for the features you have mentioned is included in the bootloader. Again refer to the source code of the bootloader for further details.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
PranavaYN
Moderator 50 likes received First comment on KBA First question asked

Hi,

The default image flashed in to the device contain an I2C bootloader. You can find the source code for the same I2C bootloader in the following path after installing CCGx Host SDK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD6125-40LQXI_notebook\CYPD6125-40LQXI_notebook.cydsn\i2c_boot.cydsn

If there is already a bootloader on a CYPD6125 fresh from the factory, would it contain support for those functions? 

>> Yes, support for the features you have mentioned is included in the bootloader. Again refer to the source code of the bootloader for further details.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes