CYPD5125/5126 several FW/configuration update howto questions

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
apfel
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi, we want to use the 5126 for a new project however as this is the first use of a cypress CCG product there are several questions which I wasn't able to solve:
1. It looks as if the CCG5 FW update/parameter programming is via the I2C port. I guess it's via SCB1?
2. We already have a sort of USB to serial converter build into the system which we would like to use for FW updates and parameter programming. Is there a document on how to achieve this via I2C? I've only found 002-22328 Rev. *G which discussed programming via SWD(?) but couldn't find anything for I2C.
3. during development we'd like to circumvent our USB to serial solution and rather use a "cypress-approved" one (there are only so many possible points of failure you want to deal with at any given time). However I haven't found a definitve answer on whether the MiniProc3 or MiniProg4 would support both FW programming and Configuration via the EZ-PD Configuration utility or whether we'll have to nail a PCB with a cypress USB-serial bridge together (and, as I asked before, which SCB port we'll have to connect to).

Thanks for any reply.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

1. Yes, the firmware/configuration update through HPI protocol (over I2C lines) is on SCB1 if you use default firmware from Host SDK and you could connect a USB-Serial device or any other embedded controller to act as an I2C master.

2. The HPI specification can be obtained from the local Sales team under NDA and you could refer to it for developing your own firmware/configuration update sequence using your USB-Serial converter.

3. The MiniProg3/MiniProg4 would support SWD programming using PSoC Programmer and would program the complete firmware .hex which includes bootloader, application and configuration. To use the EZ-PD Configuration Utility, you could use our USB-Serial device (for e.g. CY7C65215) as I2C master and connect the I2C lines to SCB1 of CCG5.

Please also refer to the KBA for more details on the programming options for CCG5.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

1. Yes, the firmware/configuration update through HPI protocol (over I2C lines) is on SCB1 if you use default firmware from Host SDK and you could connect a USB-Serial device or any other embedded controller to act as an I2C master.

2. The HPI specification can be obtained from the local Sales team under NDA and you could refer to it for developing your own firmware/configuration update sequence using your USB-Serial converter.

3. The MiniProg3/MiniProg4 would support SWD programming using PSoC Programmer and would program the complete firmware .hex which includes bootloader, application and configuration. To use the EZ-PD Configuration Utility, you could use our USB-Serial device (for e.g. CY7C65215) as I2C master and connect the I2C lines to SCB1 of CCG5.

Please also refer to the KBA for more details on the programming options for CCG5.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes