CYPD3177 firmware updates?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
nisac_4161771
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

1. The newest firmware for the CYPD3177 supports a pull-up resistor on FLIP to set the VDO bit in the profile for data or no data. The datasheet neglects to say where the pull-up resistor should pull up to. Is it Vddd?

2. Is there any way to update the firmware in older devices?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Yes, since the application here is sink only, the VDDD of 3.3V is generated. 

Since this cannot be programmed and the firmware is fixed, it is recommended to buy the latest chip that has the updated firmware in it.

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

The data capability can be determined by using the different resistor values on Flip pin as shown below,

Abhilash_P_0-1630256512891.png

The flip pin is internally pulled up to 3.3V. The reference can be seen in the below image,

Abhilash_P_1-1630256595266.png

Can you please confirm if you are referring to the CYPD3177 firmware version 4.05?

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
nisac_4161771
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so the other end (the end not connected to FLIP) of the selection resistor goes to Vddd then?

yes, I’m talking about v4.05. I have an inventory of devices now and would much prefer the behavior of 4.05 - specifically if I strap it for a Vmin above 5 volts and connect it to a non-PD supply, I want that to be a FAULT condition. Is there any way to field-upgrade these devices?

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Yes, since the application here is sink only, the VDDD of 3.3V is generated. 

Since this cannot be programmed and the firmware is fixed, it is recommended to buy the latest chip that has the updated firmware in it.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
nisac_4161771
Level 1
Level 1

"Buy the latest chip," they say.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 1.03.37 PM.png

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Yes, it is recommended to buy the latest chip. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
nisac_4161771
Level 1
Level 1

Well,  I guess I'll get back to you in a few years when they're available for purchase again.

0 Likes