CYPD3171 powered from VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE issue with VDDD

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
phock
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 25 sign-ins 5 questions asked

In my application, I have the CYPD3171 powered from VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE. It generates 3.3V on VDDD from an internal regulator. The datasheet says not to use this to power external devices. However, I am using it for the pull up resistors for I2c communications. The datasheet says that GPIO cannot handle having a voltage on I2C lines when the CYPD3171 is powered down, so I figured pulling up to VDDD is ok since it is internally generated. Every 32 ms or so, the voltage on VDDD sags down from 3.3V to approximately 1.5V before rapidly shooting back up to 3.3V. If I increase the capacitance on  VDDD, it still sags to 1.5V but the amount of time it takes to drop from 3.3 to 1.5 increases, which seems to suggest that there is some feedback on VDDD and the voltage is allowed to drop to 1.5V on purpose. Actually, there is a voltage spike before the drop (on the EVK as well as my board with a 1 uF and 100 nF cap installed on VDDD), but the spike goes away with a 4.7 uF capacitor added to VDDD. I started a new example project (power adapter "cla" project) for the CYPD3171 and flashed it to the CY4532 EVK. I powered the EVK from VBUS_IN on J4 (J2, J3, J4 in default position, Jumper on J6 removed, J5 and J7 removed) and saw the same exact behavior on VDDD. Enabling or disabling deep sleep has no effect on this. Is there some change I need to make to the firmware to support being powered from VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE? Thanks.

1 Solution
phock
Level 3
Level 3

Just found this in main.c:

/*
     * CLA application is always VDDD powered by an external source. Disable
     * internal VBUS regulator.
     */
    pd_hal_disable_vreg (TYPEC_PORT_0_IDX);

Seems like a likely culprit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
phock
Level 3
Level 3

With the power bank firmware, I don't see this cyclic behavior when powering from VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE : VDDD stays constant. However, in my application (small form factor) the only switcher on the board is the one that supplies power for the connected USB PD device. Is it possible to power the CYPD3171 from VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE in a power adapter application? I do need to retain the ability to program over the CC pins, and never want/need a downstream device to supply power.

0 Likes
phock
Level 3
Level 3

Just found this in main.c:

/*
     * CLA application is always VDDD powered by an external source. Disable
     * internal VBUS regulator.
     */
    pd_hal_disable_vreg (TYPEC_PORT_0_IDX);

Seems like a likely culprit.