CYPD3125 programming with MiniProg3 (not EZ-PD Config Utility)

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Michael_Y
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi Abhilash_P,

I inherited a board with CYPD3125-40QXIT, built by a departed engineer who followed the Cypress reference design.  2 FETs were used, enabled by VBUS_C_CTRL1,0 (pin29, 30), which I need to default to "high".  Otherwise the board won't get power. 

--I have not purchased a CY4531 EZ-PD CCG3 Evaluation Kit, nor do I plan to buy one.  So,  I can't use EZ-PD Config Utility (which may not allow me to default these 2 pins to high anyway).

--I have MiniProg3 and setup the SWD interface to the board.  PSoC programmer was able to see the device.

--I have also installed PSoC Creator 4.3, and have been reading the user manual to try to figure out a way to program these two pins.

--So far I haven't found a way at all.  These two pins were labeled as "power" and no manual driven popups to allow modifications. One Infineon FAE suggested to insert "pd_internal_cfet_on() function after the drive mode is set".  I searched in CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook01, and found in pdss_hal.c, line4065, pd_internal_cfet_on() is already there. 

So my questions are as follows,

1. Does the device usually shipped with CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook01 programmed?  

2. If not, should I program the device again with CYPD3125-40LQXI_notebook01?  Any modification needed to default the 2 pins? If so, how and where to modify?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Michael Y

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Michael,

CCG3 firmware disable VBUS consumer path by default when Type-C interface is not attach any Type-C Source.

1.  N MOS FET control logic is 

ENABLE path: High

DISABLE path: LOW.

2. Type-C VSafe0V specification, VBUS voltage shall be <800mV.

3. CCG3 can be powered from VBUS with present Rd_DB. And then, enable consumer path. 

If you insist to enable consumer path, you could change the drive mode of VBUS_C_CTRL by assert APP_VBUS_SNK_FET_ON_P1() into the firmware code app.c or main.c, where the one you could like to. But I am not recommend to change it, since APP_VBUS_SNK_FET_ON_P1() will be called by firmware as per Type-C state machine and Power Delivery state machine, you have to filter out which case is the one you could like to enable the consumer path but Type-C state machine and Power Delivery state machine will not enable.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies