Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PaRi_1293246
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 25 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hello,

We have implemented a DRP with the controller CYPD3125 and the Mux PS8743B because the Mux PS8740B is not recommended for new design.  The CYPD3125 interface to the PS8743B through the local I2C bus.  In a previous conversation I have been told that I need to modify the file datamux_ctrl.c in the firmware project to make it compatible with the Mux PS8743B.

From what I understand there is three tools that can be use to customize the CYPD3125.  The EZ-PD Configuration Utility, the EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK and the PSoC Creator.  Can you give me a brief description of each of those tools?  What is the purpose of each one?

What tool do I need to modify the file datamux_ctrl.c and compile the firmware?  I assume it's  the EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK.

Where can I get the default project of the CYPD3125?  Is it that same that is use for the CY4531 EZ-PD CCG3 Evaluation Kit?

Thank you for helping us.

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

EZ_PD Configuration utility: The EZ-PD™ CCGx controller is a highly configurable and programmable solution. The chip can be configured using parameters stored in the internal flash memory. These parameters are to be chosen and programmed according to use cases and requirements. This utility can be used to make changes to the existing firmware binary that is already present in the chip. Attached the user guide of Config utility for more details.

PSOC Creator:  It is an Integrated Design Environment (IDE) that enables concurrent hardware and firmware editing, compiling and debugging of PSoC and FM0+ systems. Attached the guide for more details.

Host SDK: The CCGx Host SDK provides a set of firmware resources that allows users to build customized applications using the Type-C port controllers from Cypress. This is based on a CCGx firmware stack and provides programming hooks and interfaces for customers to implement their own policy and system management schemes. The key application-level requirements for the firmware stack are as follows:
• USB Type-C Revision 2.0 and USB-PD Revision 3.0 specification compliant PD stack for CCG5, CCG5C,
CCG6 and CCG6xF (CCG6DF and CCG6SF).
• USB Type-C Connector System Software Interface Revision 1.1 support for CCG5, CCG5C, CCG6 and
CCG6xF.
• Drivers for the various hardware blocks on the CCGx controllers.
• Allow manufacturing-level customization of device parameters such as power profiles, default port behavior,
Over Voltage Protection, and so on, without changing the firmware.
• Map firmware to system hardware design changes without any impact on the core firmware modules.
• Facilitate source-level debugging so that new customers can get familiarized with the stack.

Attached the kit documentation for more details.

"What tool do I need to modify the file datamux_ctrl.c and compile the firmware? I assume it's the EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK."

Yes, your understanding is correct. 

"Where can I get the default project of the CYPD3125?  Is it that same that is use for the CY4531 EZ-PD CCG3 Evaluation Kit?"

I recommend you to please go through the following Application note and KBA. It has complete details of how to program CCG3 and the the default project files for CCG3.

AN200210

KBA

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Abhilash_P

Hi,

EZ_PD Configuration utility: The EZ-PD™ CCGx controller is a highly configurable and programmable solution. The chip can be configured using parameters stored in the internal flash memory. These parameters are to be chosen and programmed according to use cases and requirements. This utility can be used to make changes to the existing firmware binary that is already present in the chip. Attached the user guide of Config utility for more details.

PSOC Creator:  It is an Integrated Design Environment (IDE) that enables concurrent hardware and firmware editing, compiling and debugging of PSoC and FM0+ systems. Attached the guide for more details.

Host SDK: The CCGx Host SDK provides a set of firmware resources that allows users to build customized applications using the Type-C port controllers from Cypress. This is based on a CCGx firmware stack and provides programming hooks and interfaces for customers to implement their own policy and system management schemes. The key application-level requirements for the firmware stack are as follows:
• USB Type-C Revision 2.0 and USB-PD Revision 3.0 specification compliant PD stack for CCG5, CCG5C,
CCG6 and CCG6xF (CCG6DF and CCG6SF).
• USB Type-C Connector System Software Interface Revision 1.1 support for CCG5, CCG5C, CCG6 and
CCG6xF.
• Drivers for the various hardware blocks on the CCGx controllers.
• Allow manufacturing-level customization of device parameters such as power profiles, default port behavior,
Over Voltage Protection, and so on, without changing the firmware.
• Map firmware to system hardware design changes without any impact on the core firmware modules.
• Facilitate source-level debugging so that new customers can get familiarized with the stack.

Attached the kit documentation for more details.

"What tool do I need to modify the file datamux_ctrl.c and compile the firmware? I assume it's the EZ-PD CCGx Host SDK."

Yes, your understanding is correct. 

"Where can I get the default project of the CYPD3125?  Is it that same that is use for the CY4531 EZ-PD CCG3 Evaluation Kit?"

I recommend you to please go through the following Application note and KBA. It has complete details of how to program CCG3 and the the default project files for CCG3.

AN200210

KBA

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hello,

Why when using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility to read/modify the configuration parameters of the CCG3 device that is on the CCG3 EVK do we need to set the VSYS power supply to 5 volts (pins 2 and 3 of J3 shorted)?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Please refer to Page number 14 - CCG3 Programming and Bootloading from the datasheet of EZ-PD CCG3 USB Type C Port controller. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi,

I don't see in the datasheet any information about powering VSYS from 5 volts instead of 3.3 volts when programming the CCG3 through the I2C interface.  Where can I find that information?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice

0 Likes

Hi,

I think I have found the answer.  It's related to the architecture of the CCG3 EVK.  When the EVK is powered from the  USB Mini B connector that is on the daughter card the 3.3 volts is not working.  Only the 5.0 volts that come from the USB2_VBUS is available for VSYS.

Thank you

Best Regards,

Patrice  

0 Likes