CYPD3123 with a USB PD compatible charger (BQ25713)

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chha_1272311
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am trying to minimize part count and I plan to use the CYPD3123 for PD negotiation and as the main system microcontroller.  I have a design using BQ25713 which already has FETs to control VBUS into the system and OTG out.  I have a design using the CCG2, but the customer will likely require USB firmware updates to the microcontroller.  So I am switching over to the CYPD3123.  Is there any additional concerns for CCG3 function if I rely on the CYPD3123 controlling the BQ25713 instead of the recommended C and P FETs.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Chris,

The application where CCG3 is used seems fine . Please refer to the CCG3 FAQs KBA which addresses questions on VBUS_P_CTRL, VBUS_C_CTRL and dead battery termination(Rd_db).

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Chris,

Replacing CCG2 with CCG3 must not be a problem as CCG3 has separate driver outputs to control external power FETs for VBUS supplies.

Since the application is only charging and not DRP, it needs only the provider path to be enabled to charge the device. Can you please let me know if this is the only change that you need in the new design.

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yes so far, though I may have to alter the VDDD dead battery logic.

0 Likes

Hello Chris,

Dead battery logic is comes into play when the device is configured as DRP or sink only, example in case of notebooks where the device(laptop) needs to be charged through type C port when no power is available on the device side. If you are using CCG3 (already powered externally) for only provider path (as DFP only) then an Rp termination is always needed on the CC lines.

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yes, the CCG3 will be running as a UFP and negotiating for the BQ25713 charger.  There is the chance the battery dies and BQ25713 would need the VBUS negotiated to start charging.  So VBUS or VCONN should be able to power the CCG3 and some additional components.

0 Likes

Hello,

Can you please be more clear on the application .

Do u want CCG3 to charge the battery or the device(eg: notebook) or, act as a power bank ?

Please refer to Table 38 :  EZ-PD CCG3 Ordering Information in the datasheet for applications of different CCG3 parts.

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yes, like I said - I plan to use the CCG3 as the primary microcontroller for the device, the charger in the device will be a BQ25713.  It is a requirement that the CCG3 be updated by USB as it will have no other microcontrollers or interfaces exposed to the user for updating.

0 Likes

Hello Chris,

The application where CCG3 is used seems fine . Please refer to the CCG3 FAQs KBA which addresses questions on VBUS_P_CTRL, VBUS_C_CTRL and dead battery termination(Rd_db).

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Thanks!

0 Likes