CYPD3123 controls DP-to-HDMI converter

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
beyuc_3712261
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have designed a circuit with CYPD3125, a Dp-to-HDMI converter, a USB hub controller and a DC power regulator. The PCB is ready but  later found the SDK project "CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle" firmware can not be changed for CYPD3125 controller but can be changed for CYPD3123 controller. I do not see the functional difference between two controller but can anyone tell me if I can use CYPD3123 to replace the CYPD3125 for my application circuit below:

1. The upstream signals DRX0P,DRX0N, DRX1P,DRX1N, DRX2P,DRX2N, DRX3P,DRX3N of the Dp-to-HDMI converter are directly connected to a USB-C connector but the signals AUXP, AUXN of the Dp-to-HDMI converter are connected through CYPD3125  to the USB-C connector.

pin 11 of CYPD3125 ----------------->AUXP

pin14 of CYPD3125 ----------------->AUXN

pin12 of CYPD3125 <----------------SBU1 (pin A8) of USB-C

pin13 of CYPD3125 <----------------SBU2 (pin B8) of USB-C

2. D+ (pin 21) ,D- (pin 22) of CYPD3125 are connected to a USB hub downstream port.  The upstream port of the USB hub is connected to DP (A6), DN (A7) of the USB-C

3. the USB hub controller, Dp-to-HDMI converter and CYPD3125 are powered by an external power supply and must be turned on before connecting to USB-C connector.

4. CYPD3125 needs to talk with a smart phone plugged in the USB-C and let the phone to transmit video through the Dp-to-HDMI converter.

5. CYPD3125 turns on an NMOSFET to charge the smart phone.

Thanks,

Derong Yuan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

I think I might have solved part of the problem by letting the VBUS (power from the Samsung phone plugged in the USB-C) to power the USB hub controller and Dp-to-HDMI converter circuit. 

The board with CYPD3123 is now working except power charging function. But the updated firmware is supposed to turn on the NMOSFET to let the external power supply to charge the smart phone plugged in the USB-C.

I do not see the control signals (VBUS_P_CTRL0, VBUS_P_CTRL1) working.

A question is when I make a building of  the updated firmware with the PSoC Creator3.3  a warning sign can be seen in the screen as shown below:

screen-shut.PNG

Both px_swap.h and px_swap.c are added in the main.c program.

Please help advise.

Thanks,

Derong Yuan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
beyuc_3712261
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I replaced the CYPD3125 with a CYPD3123 in a known good circuit board (a purchased board). The board does not work with the replaced CYPD3123. When a laptop is plugged in the USB-C the laptop shows "USB Root Hub (USB3.0)" and when it is unplugged the message disappeared.

The program code in the CYPD3123 is an updated project "CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle" firmware.  In the main() program I added DR_SWAP source code according to Lisa's reply to a post "CCG3 charge through dongle firmware" on Feb 21, 2019 8:28AM. I also changed the device name to CYPD3123 from the original CYPD3120 according to Eddie's reply to my post "how to change the device name in PSoC Creator 3.3" this morning.

Does that mean the CYPD3123 can not replace CYPD3125 in my application circuit? Can Cypress provide the same project firmware for CYPD3125?

Attached is the updated project file.

Thanks,

Derong Yuan

0 Likes

Hi,

I think I might have solved part of the problem by letting the VBUS (power from the Samsung phone plugged in the USB-C) to power the USB hub controller and Dp-to-HDMI converter circuit. 

The board with CYPD3123 is now working except power charging function. But the updated firmware is supposed to turn on the NMOSFET to let the external power supply to charge the smart phone plugged in the USB-C.

I do not see the control signals (VBUS_P_CTRL0, VBUS_P_CTRL1) working.

A question is when I make a building of  the updated firmware with the PSoC Creator3.3  a warning sign can be seen in the screen as shown below:

screen-shut.PNG

Both px_swap.h and px_swap.c are added in the main.c program.

Please help advise.

Thanks,

Derong Yuan

0 Likes

The warning will not effect your firmware, the warning is because the parameters was defined in the function but it is not used. If you do not want those, you could remove the parameters or use (void) port to clean it.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes