CYPD3120 Type-C to eDP monitor

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi All, 

I want to make a Type-C to eDP monitor dongle, reference to 3120 type-c to dp dongle.  

With connected SBU1/2 into IC and AUXp/n out to eDP monitor,  my PC can not recognizing any monitor. So I connected the SUB1/2 to eDP monitor AUXp/n directly, then my PC can recognizing a 4K"wired link monitor", but my eDP monitor show "blank screen". It's a 15.6" eDP 4K monitor, the back light is OK.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks.

Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello King,

Please kindly refer my comments as below:

1. If I can config CYPD 3120 just by EZ-PD configuration utility, or I need rebuild the firmware w/ config.c file?

>>You can config CYPD 3120 just by EZ-PD configuration utility to change the pin assignment support. There is no need re-build firmware. 

2.if the main link channel will effect the EDID transmission ?

>>The main link channel will not effect the EDID transmission, since EDID is negotation via AUX Channel. 

3. pin-assignment C/D/E,Is it corresponding DP modes supported in EZ-PD configuration utility? 

>> Your understand is correct. 

4. Could you tell me how to do it without an analyzer? 

>> You need an analyzer, you could take a look CY4500 from IFX, https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy4500-ez-pd-protocol-analyzer 

5. Do you mean out of data, because of PU/PD resistor? Currently, my sink is eDP LCD panel. I have checked the eDP spec. which say noneed PU/PD resistor of AUX_P/N.

>> Not equals to. The EDID have includes the resolution of DisplayPort, the configuration of DisplayPort, it shall be match the true project. If the LCD panel will not change dynamically, the EDID shall correct.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
ShifangZ_26

Hi King,

1. For Type-C interface of AUX_P/N can be directly wired to DP sink. One limitation is the EDID information may be out of date. 

2. When you have got the EDID from the NB side (DP source) , it is meaning of that the AUX channel have been communicated successful.  

3. But, you have not video on monitor, it meaning of the main link signals (Lan0-lan4 of Display Port) have not settled. Below is direction need take a look:

a. Review the CC log of Type-C port. >> Confirm whether the CC negotation have been completed and settled correctly or not. 

b. Make sure the final negotation of Type-C pin assignments matching the true signals routing. For example, pin-assignment C/D/E. 

Best Regards,

Lisa 

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reply!

1. For Type-C interface of AUX_P/N can be directly wired to DP sink. One limitation is the EDID information may be out of date.  K: Do you mean out of data, because of PU/PD resistor? Currently, my sink is eDP LCD panel. I have checked the eDP spec. which say noneed PU/PD resistor of AUX_P/N.

2. When you have got the EDID from the NB side (DP source) , it is meaning of that the AUX channel have been communicated successful.  K: Yes, seems like. But I used to know that the EDID is from monitor to host(PC or Notebook).

3. But, you have not video on monitor, it meaning of the main link signals (Lan0-lan4 of Display Port) have not settled. Below is direction need take a look:

a. Review the CC log of Type-C port. >> Confirm whether the CC negotation have been completed and settled correctly or not. K: Could you tell me how to do it without an analyzer? Thank you very much.

b. Make sure the final negotation of Type-C pin assignments matching the true signals routing. For example, pin-assignment C/D/E. K: pin-assignment C/D/E,Is it corresponding DP modes supported in EZ-PD configuration utility? 

Currently,  Lane0-Lane4 reference to DP dongle example. 

Another thing I want to figure out,  if the main link channel will effect the EDID transmission ?IF I reverse the SBU1/2 to AUX_P/N , "wired link monitor" also, but without LCD resolution info.

Too more question form me, thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
kingzhang1017
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Lisa,

For some reason, I want change to“pin-assignment D” 2*lanes.  If I can config CYPD 3120 just by EZ-PD configuration utility, or I need rebuild the firmware w/ config.c file?

Thanks & Best Regards,

King

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

Hello King,

Please kindly refer my comments as below:

1. If I can config CYPD 3120 just by EZ-PD configuration utility, or I need rebuild the firmware w/ config.c file?

>>You can config CYPD 3120 just by EZ-PD configuration utility to change the pin assignment support. There is no need re-build firmware. 

2.if the main link channel will effect the EDID transmission ?

>>The main link channel will not effect the EDID transmission, since EDID is negotation via AUX Channel. 

3. pin-assignment C/D/E,Is it corresponding DP modes supported in EZ-PD configuration utility? 

>> Your understand is correct. 

4. Could you tell me how to do it without an analyzer? 

>> You need an analyzer, you could take a look CY4500 from IFX, https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy4500-ez-pd-protocol-analyzer 

5. Do you mean out of data, because of PU/PD resistor? Currently, my sink is eDP LCD panel. I have checked the eDP spec. which say noneed PU/PD resistor of AUX_P/N.

>> Not equals to. The EDID have includes the resolution of DisplayPort, the configuration of DisplayPort, it shall be match the true project. If the LCD panel will not change dynamically, the EDID shall correct.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes