CYPD3120: HDMI over Type-C (No Display Port)

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StonedEdge
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi there,

I’m looking or implement HDMI alternate mode with a Raspberry Pi CM4 as the brains to transmit HDMI video over Type-C. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a DisplayPort bus (BCM2711), only 2 x HDMI 2.0 TX buses. Based on my understanding, DDC comms usually happens over the CC bus, however since the TPS65897D from Texas Instruments doesn’t support this protocol, I would have to forgo this IC from TI and use the CCG3 line of products.

A couple of questions before I start implementing the design from Infineon would be below. I would appreciate if you could answer them for me:

1) Does the CYPD3120 support HDMI over Type-C standard? If yes, how are the DDC I2C signals transferred to the source monitor if they are transferred over the CC wire? Are there USB-C to HDMI dongles that decode the CC messages internally?
2) Do you have a reference schematic or implementation I could use for HDMI over Type-C with the CYPD3120 or similar chip?
3) Does the CYPD3120 support DRP toggling and source and sink profiles? I would like to use a PD controller that can configure both a sink and source profile path. 
4) I plan on using the TUSB546-A from TI as an external mux device. Can the PD controller from Cypress control the HPD , flip signals and HDMI detect with GPIOs configured from the EZ-PD configuration tool rather than over i2c (i.e standalone). 
5) How is the CYPD3120 programmed? Can it load firmware through SPI similar to the TPS65897D or does it require i2c bootloading? I would prefer to use a USB bootloader or other external programming method rather than i2c.

What I want to achieve in my end product, and the controller must be able to do, is:

a) Single USB-C port, DRP (i.e the port is able to sink and source power (15v 2A) and (5V 900mA maximum) for charging via USB PD 3.0 + attaching USB 2.0 accessories)
b) HDMI TX lines (source) over the Type-C receptacle (not plug), with flip mux switch (TUSB546A), connected to a USB-C to HDMI cable to a RX receiver (sink)
c) Decode DDC (SDA/SCL) i2c messages to communicate with the EEPROM on the HDMI sink side to set the proper screen resolution, aspect ratios, etc. 

I hope that my questions make sense. I plan on using the redriver mux (TUSB546) standalone in GPIO mode and programming the PD controller ideally via USB bootloader or non i2c method. 

I would appreciate a recommendation of IC that can do all of the above. I do realize USB-C to DP is the industry standard, however the CM4 doesn't support a DisplayPort bus as of writing this post. 

Kind regards,
Benjamin

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello Benjamin,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Community.

We understand that you are considering CYPD3120 for a Type-C to HDMI (with no DP) application.

1) Yes, it does support it. However, it takes effort from the firmware side.
Usually, we work with the companies developing this solution together as firmware support is required.
If you would like firmware support for this, please contact Infineon sales or your distributor for further technical assistance.

2) We have a reference schematic for CYPD3120 for type-C to HDMI.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/vd_usb_ccg3_hdmi_adapter/?utm_source=cypre...
However, this solution uses DP alternate mode, and then it changes the DP signals to HDMI.
In addition, it does not support DRP, and the HDMI side is a receptacle.

3) CYPD3120 only supports the UFP role.
In the CCG3 datasheet, table 38, the different part numbers are explained.

Pablo_EG_0-1648179026928.png

The parts marked with DRP under "role" support DRP.

4) Yes, CCG3 has many GPIOs which can be used to control the MUX.
As you mentioned, the most common way is to use I2C, but the code can be adjusted to use GPIO instead.

5) CYPD3120 comes with USB bootloader. This is shown in thable 38 above, under "default firmware".

Best regards,
Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello Benjamin,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Community.

We understand that you are considering CYPD3120 for a Type-C to HDMI (with no DP) application.

1) Yes, it does support it. However, it takes effort from the firmware side.
Usually, we work with the companies developing this solution together as firmware support is required.
If you would like firmware support for this, please contact Infineon sales or your distributor for further technical assistance.

2) We have a reference schematic for CYPD3120 for type-C to HDMI.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/vd_usb_ccg3_hdmi_adapter/?utm_source=cypre...
However, this solution uses DP alternate mode, and then it changes the DP signals to HDMI.
In addition, it does not support DRP, and the HDMI side is a receptacle.

3) CYPD3120 only supports the UFP role.
In the CCG3 datasheet, table 38, the different part numbers are explained.

Pablo_EG_0-1648179026928.png

The parts marked with DRP under "role" support DRP.

4) Yes, CCG3 has many GPIOs which can be used to control the MUX.
As you mentioned, the most common way is to use I2C, but the code can be adjusted to use GPIO instead.

5) CYPD3120 comes with USB bootloader. This is shown in thable 38 above, under "default firmware".

Best regards,
Pablo

0 Likes