CYPD3120-40LQXI change to DRP in DisplayPort exmple

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kms
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins First solution authored 10 replies posted

Hi, infineon team.

I wanna ask something about CYPD3120-40LQXI DisplayPort example.

If we don't have a DFP sink, can we change the [example Display dongle firmware] to DRP or UFP?

This following figure that we have made adapter concepts design. 

캡처.JPG

I read a DP standard 2.0 5B scenario that explane the sink device is must working DFP.

So, CYPD3120-LQXI is supported that scenario?

comment me anyone. 

Thank you .

0 Likes
1 Solution
Wang_Fred
5 questions asked 100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi Minson,

The statement of "CCG3 is bi-directional and pin assignment E for UFP_D and DFP_U." is correct.

Unfortunately, we were varifying to this scenario used to CYPD3120-40LQXI dp dongle reference design with desktop (DP receptacle port) - electrical DP cable - sink adapter board(DP receptacle to USB type C plug) - Monitor (LG 43UN700)

> if you already have the CYPD3120 C-DP dongle HW&FW to make this test and test result is failed, maybe you need to capture the cc/VDM log on type-c port to observe if the monitor/UFP_D support pin assignment E.

Thanks, Fred

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Wang_Fred

Hello,

The CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle design is DP sink or UFP.

It looks the difference between the adapter in design concept and 3120 dp dongle is the adapter has type-c receptacle. What's other difference?

Besides, can you upload the capture of DP standard 2.0 5B scenario? I am not able to find it in DP Spec.

Thanks, Fred

0 Likes
kms
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Wang_Fred

I already know the CYPD3120-40LQXI dp dogle design is UFP but can I change the this design to DFP role?

kms_0-1670891336870.png

This adapter, located outside the sink unit (e.g. monitor), is an accessory to the electrical DP cable.

The following figure shows the DP altmode standard 2.0 5B scenario.(sorry I was wrong)

According to the standard, when designing a USB Type C adapter, it works with a UFP or DRP. 

kms_2-1670891918513.pngBut But the sink we have works with DFP.

So, I want to change the dp_dongle design to DFP. 

If you don't understand what I'm explaining, please leave a comment.

0 Likes
Wang_Fred

Hello,

CYPD3120-40LQXI C-DP dongle reference design is reversible, so I believe it could meet your application scenario (DP receptacle -> type-c plug) without any change. 

Thanks, Fred

0 Likes
kms
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, Fred

Thank you for your reply.

but once I ask to another infineon engineer, and he/she said "CCG3 is bi-directional and pin assignment E for UFP_D and DFP_U." 

https://community.infineon.com/t5/USB-EZ-PD-Type-C/Can-CYPD3120-40LQXI-operates-as-a-Sink-adapter/m-...

You means that CYPD3120-=40LQXI C-DP dongle will be irrelevant to the pin assignment and thier default Role?

Unfortunately, we were varifying to this scenario used to CYPD3120-40LQXI dp dongle reference design with desktop (DP receptacle port) - electrical DP cable - sink adapter board(DP receptacle to USB type C plug) - Monitor (LG 43UN700)

I guess it may dosen't work caused by our sink adapter board(DP receptacle-USB type C plug) has wrong role. 

Here it is Monitor specification. Maybe is it problem? 

Thanks to your support

Minseon. 

0 Likes
Wang_Fred

Hi Minson,

The statement of "CCG3 is bi-directional and pin assignment E for UFP_D and DFP_U." is correct.

Unfortunately, we were varifying to this scenario used to CYPD3120-40LQXI dp dongle reference design with desktop (DP receptacle port) - electrical DP cable - sink adapter board(DP receptacle to USB type C plug) - Monitor (LG 43UN700)

> if you already have the CYPD3120 C-DP dongle HW&FW to make this test and test result is failed, maybe you need to capture the cc/VDM log on type-c port to observe if the monitor/UFP_D support pin assignment E.

Thanks, Fred

0 Likes
kms
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Fred.

We already made sink adapter HW and FW and they are all the same using CYPD3120-40LQXIdp dongle example HW&FW. 

The fault condition is that the monitor knows the connected usb type c but cannot detect the video signal.

I'm so nervous about this problem, do you know how to capture the cc/VDM login monitor?

Thanks to your support

Minseon.

0 Likes
Wang_Fred

Hi Minseon,

CY4500 is specialized tool for cc log/VDM message capture - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/cy4500/

Since you already get the 3120 C-DP dongle firmware, I believe you can also get a CY4500 from local IFX contact window/FAE?

Thanks, Fred

0 Likes