CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD Source and One time programming of HX3PD controller and Regulator

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
piyyam
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted 5 sign-ins First question asked

Hi Support team, 

Please find attached the image for reference. I would like to make a configuration like the one below.

1. One upstream port (No PD required) needs to be connected to the Host processor over USB3.0 and USB2.0.
  2. 7 Number of Down Stream Ports as shown in the image. 
    • 2xType C Power Delivery (2.0/3.0) & USB3.0/3.1 Gen Speed.
    • And rest of the other downstream ports shall support BC1.2 & Apple charging. Along with USB Data speed as 3.0/2.0
    • I understood the  PD and HUB integration by going through the hardware documents, like schematics, datasheets, and app notes

After reviewing the concept, we have come to the conclusion to use CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD as Source for our product. 

Here are my queries:

1. Our system host is based on Linux. So I would like to know how to program or configure the CYUSB4347/57 using host processor via upstream ports?  Will that be possible?
  2. Does CYUSB4347/57 IC come as factory preprogrammed or do we need to program? What would be the default configuration when it comes from Factory?
  3. Query regarding CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD kit
    1. I understand that "EZ-USB HX3PD Configuration Utility" can be used to customize the DS and US. Could you please help us, to configure the first two DS ports of CYUSB4347/57 as Type C PD 3.0 spec? example (20V @5A)? and US port needs to be connected to Linux OS based host and we are expecting to program or configure the HUB/PD/DMC by the Host processor.
    2. Does this software utility compatible with Linux OS?
  4. We are going to reuse most of the design blocks from the CY6611 EZ-USB HX3PD kit, Do you have design files in the Altium tool?
  5. The Eval Kit is using ONSEMI's NCP81239AMNTXG/NCP81239MNTXG buck-boost converters and we are seeing the part availability issues for those parts, Do you recommend any other buck-boost converters instead?. 
  6. Or Does CYUSB4347/57 HUB-PD supports other power regulators that have I2C based adjustable output power?

Please feel free to ask me if you have any other queries.

Thanks & Regards

Peri

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ajeethkumar_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Infineon Developer Community!

1. We do not have Linux based utility for HX3PD configuration. You can "EZ-USB™ HX3PD Configuration Utility" which is a Windows-based tool.
  2. You can refer to Table 3-1 in EZ-USB HX3PD Configuration Utility User Manual available at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB HX3PD Configuration Utility\Documentation" after installation.
  3. a. To customize, DS2 as a PD port, firmware modification is required. You can find the HX3PD firmware source in the Dock SDK. You can update the data mux control logic for configuring HX3PD as Two PD DS ports.
    b. Currently, don't have any Linux-based utility for HX3PD configuration.
  4. You can download the design files of CY6611 DVK which is of Cadence format. You can import to Altium software.
  5. Any I2C regulators supporting USB Power Delivery (PD) can be used. We have implemented an I2C logic for NCP81239 with which you can port for your own regulator.

Thanks,
Ajeeth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Ajeethkumar_P

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Infineon Developer Community!

1. We do not have Linux based utility for HX3PD configuration. You can "EZ-USB™ HX3PD Configuration Utility" which is a Windows-based tool.
  2. You can refer to Table 3-1 in EZ-USB HX3PD Configuration Utility User Manual available at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB HX3PD Configuration Utility\Documentation" after installation.
  3. a. To customize, DS2 as a PD port, firmware modification is required. You can find the HX3PD firmware source in the Dock SDK. You can update the data mux control logic for configuring HX3PD as Two PD DS ports.
    b. Currently, don't have any Linux-based utility for HX3PD configuration.
  4. You can download the design files of CY6611 DVK which is of Cadence format. You can import to Altium software.
  5. Any I2C regulators supporting USB Power Delivery (PD) can be used. We have implemented an I2C logic for NCP81239 with which you can port for your own regulator.

Thanks,
Ajeeth

0 Likes

Hi Ajeeth,

Thanks for your reply

We are going to use "CYUSB4347/57 IC" in our design, As we need to configure this IC with our custom requirement on the HUB and PD. 

From my previous post, 

1. I would like to configure PD on the first two Downstream ports, other downstream ports will be BC1.2, Could Cypress support creating custom firmware as mentioned in the User manuals?
  2. How to change the parameters for the Eval kit?
  3. Can we get custom firmware from Infineon for our requirement?

piyyam_0-1648505399843.png

Do we need to make any product or ticket to follow for the technical FAE?

Thanks

Peri

0 Likes
piyyam
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted 5 sign-ins First question asked
  1. I want to update the firmware on the Evalkit, Once I complete the configuration updated then I want to perform the testing on all the ports and the charging capability of each port. 
  2. How do I change the PDOs from the US to DS1 & DS2? will that be possible?

piyyam_1-1648508082042.png

Thanks

Peri

0 Likes
Ajeethkumar_P

Hi Peri,

I have sent a private message to you regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Ajeeth

0 Likes