CCG5 CYPD5225-96BZXI GPIO driver capacity

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Flance_Fang
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Weikeng(GC)
50 sign-ins 50 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi. Infineon

customer want to use CYPD5225-96BZXI 4* GPIOs to  directly driver  4LED, the each LED maximum driving current is 5mA. the mode use open drain, drives high input(target:consider cost, without add other  driver IC). in datasheet (page22)(Table 8. Absolute Maximum Ratings[8]),  IGPIO_ABS(Maximum current per GPIO) max is 25mA.

my question: whether CCG5 's one GPIO can drive one LED?

1.jpg

thanks

flance fang

0 Likes
1 Solution
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @Flance_Fang ,

In your application scenario (I_LED_MAX=5mA; Open drain configuration for GPIO), it is feasible to directly drive single LED by 1 GPIO. 

Note the GPIO should be configurated as a sink port, the max current should be 10mA @Vddio=3V, illustrates it below.

Although there are 4 LED in the application, the total sink current should not be a problem due to the small LED current.

Neo_Qin_0-1672827075380.png

Hi @Kevin_Lo ,

ITOT_GPIO is not available in CYPD5225-96BZXI datasheet. Since Infineon’s Type-C controllers are based on PSoC™ 4 programmable system-on-chip architecture, I guess the parameter should be similar.

If you want to get accurate data, it's recommended to go to the Infineon Support Page and try either of the 3 channels (the first 3 in the below pic) other than the Community (the last one in the pic).

Neo_Qin_1-1672828105293.png

Regards,

Neo

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Kevin_Lo
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 likes given First comment on KBA

Appreciate for clarification from CCG5 datasheet such as 

ITOT_GPIO:  Maximum total source or sink chip current:  (e.g. 200mA in PSoC4.  Itot_gpio= ? in CCGx)

For easier planning for GPIO ganging:

Typical/Max Source Sink current for each GPIO pins: (e.g PSoC4 BLE fast mode plus GPIO can sink 8mA max IOL with a VOL maximum of 0.6 V) 

0 Likes
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @Flance_Fang ,

In your application scenario (I_LED_MAX=5mA; Open drain configuration for GPIO), it is feasible to directly drive single LED by 1 GPIO. 

Note the GPIO should be configurated as a sink port, the max current should be 10mA @Vddio=3V, illustrates it below.

Although there are 4 LED in the application, the total sink current should not be a problem due to the small LED current.

Neo_Qin_0-1672827075380.png

Hi @Kevin_Lo ,

ITOT_GPIO is not available in CYPD5225-96BZXI datasheet. Since Infineon’s Type-C controllers are based on PSoC™ 4 programmable system-on-chip architecture, I guess the parameter should be similar.

If you want to get accurate data, it's recommended to go to the Infineon Support Page and try either of the 3 channels (the first 3 in the below pic) other than the Community (the last one in the pic).

Neo_Qin_1-1672828105293.png

Regards,

Neo