CCG3PA programming by Miniprog3 is not happening in Power cycle programming mode

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PrRe_3492461
Level 4
Level 4
First like received 50 sign-ins 50 replies posted

Hi,

I am using CCG3PA IC(CYPD3171-24LQXQ) in my application circuit, I am trying to program the chip with Miniporg 3 in power cycle mode by giving supply to chip from Miniprog3 but it was unsuccessful(please refer image below)

pastedImage_0.png

but when I try to program the same chip by keeping in Reset programming mode  and by giving power supply from board and used miniprog to program, with this setup the FW is getting updated in IC.

but as per datasheet the CCG3PA is not supported for Reset mode programming.

Please let us know why this behavior is observed and what changes need to make it in power cycle programming mode,(refer my circuit)

pastedImage_2.png

J1 is connected to 2 and 3 pins in power cycle mode, where J1 is connected to 1 and 2 pins in reset mode programming

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Rajesh.B

0 Likes
5 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Rajesh,

When you power on VTARG, can you check the voltage shown in the programmer utility as well as measure the voltages on VDDD and VCCD?

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for quick reply

The voltage shown on programmer utility when VTARG is applied is 3420mV.

I am seeing voltage on VDDD as 3.23V but on VCCD is around 0V when power supply is applied with miniprog

but if I give board supply to CCG3PA I am seeing 1.8V on VCCD pin.

I tried in EVK  board as well when we trying to program with minporg and with VTARG, I am not seeing 1.8V on VCCD with multi meter, but able to update program

All the measurements are with multi meter

Thanks

Best Regards

Rajesh.B

0 Likes

Hi Rajesh,

I am using PSoC Programmer 3.28.6.4409 and Miniprog3 and using power cycle mode along with other settings as per your screenshot I am able to program the CCG3PA device on CY4532 kit. I don't see any mistake in the schematic, though I would recommend the addition of a 1uF bypass capacitor on VDDD.

What is your PSoC Programmer version?

Is this occuring on multiple boards?

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for reply and suggestion

Yes, I tried with 1uF bypass capacitor between VDDD(23) and GND(22) but still unable to program

Yes I am also using the same PSoC Programmer 3.28.6.4409.

Yes it is occurring in multiple boards as of now  we tested with 10 boards and all boards are behaving in same (i.e not programmed in power cycle mode)

but the thing is how it is happening in Reset mode of programming though the CCG3PA chip is not supporting that mode

(details are in first message)

Thank you in advance

Regards

Rajesh.B

0 Likes

Hi Rajesh,

Can you try using a different Miniprog3 hardware?

I am not exactly sure how it is successful in Reset mode, the chip is somehow responding to SWD packets even when not under reset. Power cycle is usually the universal mode, which will always program. We need to understand where the problem lies, so let's try a different miniprog3 and see.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes